Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting the batteries in the rear.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'm thinking of moving the batteries to behind the rear wheelwells. Anybody do this? Pros, Cons? Thanks.

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

yes i hace given this some great thought. i was planning on mounting two batts in the rear spare tire carrier. i'd spend some time and really mount them good in a well built box/bracket set-up. one of the things about DC current is that the longer the run of wire the heavier the needed gauge of the wire. say your increasing the length of your cables by 12 feet, you might need to thicken them from 4 gauge to 0 gauge (1 ott). of course the safest thing to do is to add up all your electrical needs and then build your cables accordingly..

I also was thinking of mounting two batts under the drivers seat. I'd do this by cutting out the hump and building a box down inside the body. i really want to get my batts out from under the hood, so i can really cut up my fenders.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Sandman

I was thinking about doing it for the weight transfer to the rear. Summit sells a kit with a long cable. Maybe I'll do that. I was thinking one battery on each side but it might be easier to have next to each other.

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I will be mounting my batteries in between the front seats, but pushed all the way back with a battery selector switch too. I carry too much stuff in the back already.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If I was going to put them back there I would use 2 ott cable the bigger the better. And less strain on the battery

Eric

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Just curious but why? Seems like a pita to route the cables and the cost of that size cable would not be chaep.

7. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

if given this alot of though . I am planning on two batteries each right behind the front seatbelt(boxes?) In Moroso sealed boxes /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
    And run 00 wire all around with hellroaring iso etc.

why?
    well gain room in the engine compartment.
    weight distribution ( yeah i know but every bit counts!)
    im sure there are some others too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Sandman

I am looking to drop down some of the weight off of the frontend. My rear with disk bracks and the softop is way lighter than the front. I am looking for the lighter front end for mud racing and in the deep snow the front always sinks and the back stays high. The batteries are just one approach. I also would like to make my inner fenders easier to remove. If I could have 'em in there with just a few bolts I would remove them for engine work and whatnot. With 9" of lift, It would be worth the effort.