Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mounting tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

am I the only 'tard that has issues with mounting/dismounting tires? I have a set of 44 TSLs I'm gonna dismount from their current rims (sellin' 'em) and then I am going to mount them on a set of beadlocked rims. Thing is, I've tried it before and its a royal PITA. I usually save myself the trouble and just go to the tire place and talk like I buy lots of big spendy tires... to get them to do the mounting/dismounting for free.

Well, I'm tired of doing that... and i don't wanna spend 45 mins with 2 crowbars and godknowswhatelse trying to do this... so what kinda tips/tools do you guys have for me? Once they are on the rim, getting the bead seated is never a problem... I have a CO2 tank and just give them a good blast. Problem is getting the old ones off without damaging them... and getting the new ones on. tips?

j

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

If you have a Hi-Lift jack and a willing bumper, do the 'Trail dismount'. Put said tire under said willing bumper. Then take said Hi-Lift jack and place base on center of sidewall tire and start the Hi-Lift 'raising' the bumper and dismount said tire :D .

Good luck!

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That only breaks the bead then you have to work both beads totally off of the rim. I have not yet dismounted any tires so I cannot help with any thing else sorry.

Ira

4. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

Once you pop both beads, warm them up in front of your space heater, they're a lot easier to dismount when warm and flexible. Also steal the dish soap from the kitchen and mix about 1 part dish soap to 2 parts water in the squirt bottle and squirt it around the bead on both sides when dismounting and mounting them. It provides some lubrication and they'll slip off and on the rim a lot easier, the bead will seat with less leaks also. Once you get them aired up you can squirt it around the beads and it will show any leaks you have. I keep a bottle mixed up in my shop all the time.

5. jekbrown

good idea on the heat... I am usually working in an unheated shop... its 30-40 degrees in there sometimes and the tires are stiff as hell. Guess the only thing to do is give it a shot. It'd help a lot of I had a stand of some kind that would hold the rim still... might have to make one. :)

j

6. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

I just use a pinch bar and a big flat screw driver to dismount them and a 3 lb hammer and the screw driver to mount them with. Just lay a piece of 4' x 4' carpet on the floor to protect the rim from scrapes. Takes about 10 - 15 min a tire.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I worked in a commercial tire shop for 2 years. the right tools make all the difference. soapy water is what we used for lube. the temperature is a factor but heating the tire is a waste of time.

check this out. http://kentool.com/ken-tool.pdf

If I ever get caught up with all the little things I need to do to my truck I will break down one of my tires and take lots of pics for everyone. once you learn all the little tricks you can tear a tire apart in 2 minutes. I have worked on stuff that was so big you had stand inside of it to work the back bead on.

next time you drive by a construction site look at how big the tires are on the equipment and realize they are mounted by a guy with hand tools. offroad tire are a walk in the park compared to airplane tires or pan tires.

8. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

when i had to dismount my tires i took them to a tire shop and they only charged me 5 bucks for the first tire and the second tire they waived the charge. (i had to transport the tires in my wifes cavalier so i had to make two trips).

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Practice. Takes me about an hour to dismount and remount my 42's. I refuse to pay somebody 20 bucks a tire to do the same job. (I have had 0 luck finding the $5 deal around here)

2 tire irons and lotsa soap. Stand on the tire to help push the rubber around. HTH.

10. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy a set of H 1 rims. Makes it almost to easy. Almost:D

11. jekbrown

sweet pdf... they have tons of different gizmos there related to mounting/dismounting tires... what would you recommend for peeling 44s off of steelies???

j

12. gmc4cw

the good stuff is on pages 8,9, and 10. If you have a spoon bar part#T2X, 2 tire irons part# T45A and a duckbilled hammer part# T36 you can dismount any tubeless tire and a lot of tube type or lock ring tires. good tires irons are cheap when you compare the cost to what you can accomplish with them.

Disclaimer* Please leave lockrings to the professionals, they can kill you. I worked with a guy who had permanent brain damage from a lockring. Tire mounting is not to be taken lightly. air pressure is a deadly force. if you rush the job or do it half-ass you are risking your life. If you have never even witnessed a tire being dismounted please do not attempt it by yourself. watch someone who knows what they are doing first.

I have personally seen what a tire can do. we inflated everything in cages. I witnessed a tractor trailer tire explode in one. the cage was constructed of 2" tubing spaced every few inches. the cage is useless now as it is bowed out from the explosion a few inches. I have also seen a ring type tire jump over my head because the guy dismounting it thought all the air was out. there was probably only 2-3 psi left but thats all it takes. He was not doing anything out of the ordinary, all by the book except for making sure every bit of pressure was out. He was rushing the job. luckily no one was hurt that time.

13. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You also want to watch out for tires that have been inflated with that fix-a-flat stuff. I worked in a tire shop while I was in college. They told me the story of the guy who was plugging a hole in a tire and the spark from the reaming tool on the steel belts ignited the flammable fix-a-flat vapors that filled the tire. The explosion blew the guy's abdomen apart and rattled the windows of the grocery store across the street. The guy did survive though.

I can see how maybe a tire tool against a rim might create a similar spark and subsequent explosion. Probably wouldn't, but it could.

On another note, once we would dismount a tire with fix-a-flat in it we wanted to strangle the customer who brought it in because the sh!t stunk up the whole shop and would get all over you if you weren't careful, then YOU would stink the rest of the day.

14. gmc4cw

:mad: :mad: :mad: I hate fix-a-flat. the customers would never tell you it was in there. then you would break the bead and get it all over the machine and yourself. If they would just warn me I could have done the repair without messing up a several thousand dollar machine.

at least the manufacturers are getting better about used non-flammable materials now. the flammable stuff makes a good sticky bomb though.

15. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I use a couple of these.

T47.jpg

Huh, first try didn't post.....

T47.jpg