Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mounting torsion axles upside-down (trailer?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by botboy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Aug 11, 2004
    I've got a 20' trailer that I'm (re)building, that I received without any axles. From another off-road site I purchased a pair of towmaster "torflex" axles from a T-14 trailer.

Here's a couple pics and info of the trailer these axles were taken from (don't worry, the trailer was wrecked when I bought the axles)

My question regards mounting these axles. The axle shaft is mounted about 8" out from the center of the axle, so it rotates about the torsion spring. It's at (I estimate) a 20* angle from being dead even with the torsion spring housing.

My friend and I (my friend co-owns the trailer we're fixing up) were arguing about this, we both want the trailer as low to the ground as possible, both loaded and unloaded, but also realize we may very well bring these axles very close or even over their rated weight. I argued that the 20* angle should be facing up, and he argued that the 20* angle should be facing down. Either way we're going to be notching the trailer bed to tuck the wheels up farther, but I'm curious if it will be safe and alright to mount the axles in such a manner (and not risk having a wheel fall off or other bad things)

A pic to further illustrate this (I realize my description isn't the best):
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Nov 1, 2004
    my trailer has them mounted down so when the tire cycles in the arc it moves back and up in motion.

10k trailer with 225/75/15 load d tires on it.

10k trailer 001.jpg
  3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Dec 9, 2003
    should be mounted down, so when the suspension has load applied it can compress. the other way would be reverse loading the axles.