Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Move blinkers out from bumper...81-82 GM's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Move blinkers out from bumper...81-82 GM\'s

Hey,
    Who has moved the parking lamp/turn signal out of their bumpers on the 81 and 82 models ? Pics ? Can you just bolt in the 83 and up versions behind that same grill or is the radiator support different allowing the turn signals to hide behind the grill ? I have the stock bumper off now and am thinking about just bolting the stock models to the metal piece below the grill--after trimming the bottom leg off the lamp housing. I have a beefy grill guard the width of the frame rails i'm bolting on. I guess i'll have to find a lisense plate mounting point as well?(for missouri purposes) It just might be time to cut off those lower pieces of fender before i paint this bad boy...get out the saws all !
    Blake

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Move blinkers out from bumper...81-82 GM\'s

Believe the core support is different (holes behind the parking lights) and the lower metal trim piece that ties the two fenders together, behind the bumper changed, as well as the grille itself, which doesn't matter to you too much. Not sure when all the pieces changed, but I don't believe the metal trim piece was changed because of the parking lights, that was necessitated by the grille change.

Anyways, I wouldn't try mounting the parking lights somewhere else, if they are in good shape they are probably worth something to someone else, because I'd guarantee that the housing will shatter while driving, if not while bolting them down. They are very brittle, and on the '83-ups, aren't held in place firmly, the lower side of the lens fits into two slots in the grille, while the top two holes fit over plastic studs, and are held in place by sheet metal nuts that don't exert much pressure.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Jimmy is an 81 and never had the bumper signals for as long as I've had it. Someone butched the core support for bulb access and bolted the signal lights to the back of the grill.

I recently replaced the core support with an unmolested core support...but it is a post 83 core support too which left me in a minor dilemma. Cut the same stupid holes in the good core support or find a different way to mount the signals.

I ended up using the grill off our 83 parts truck (Chevy.../forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and cut the lower outside corners off the grill. I then used the tabs on the signal light assembly and bolted them up to the grill's center bar. Bulb access is still a little tough, but I can reach it with the headlight bezels removed or the top 3 or 4 screws for the grill removed. I've taken a few pic's and should have them developed real soon.

Rene

4. dyeager535

yeah, even with the right core support, the bulbs really can't be accessed from in the engine bay, you've got to pull the headlight bezels.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I did this swap before I went to the '91 front end and it was no big deal. I had an aftermarket grill, and the lights bolted to that. I just pulled the wiring up from the bumper and routed it in.

6. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

When i removed my front bumper i welded mounting brackets to my brush guard and mounted some cheap orange fogs light to it and wired them up to my turn signals.

7. ColAdo82K5

Thanks for the ideas guys...
    Do the 83 and up turn signals take the same pigtails on the wiring or do they have a special 90 degree turn to them or something ? I think i will find a post 83 grill and signals to swap in.
    Blake

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its been years and I simply cant remember. I think the wiring worked though. I dont remember having to change it out or anything.

9. dyeager535

'83-ups use the twist/lock connectors. (turn about 45-90* while depressing the tab)

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Blake,

I installed an 82 front clip on my K5 a while back and never installed the bumper to match. I found a newer grille with the correct mounting for the 84-up style turn signals as well as the turn signal lenses. My '78 bulbs fit right into the sockets on the signals. I then installed the grille without the signals and marked the radiator support. I used a 2" hole saw and created two holes.

You could buy an aftermarket tube bumper and install the later model turn signal lenses into it, then cut the holes without too much hassle.

Go 89-91 and never look back! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

you guys make it way to complicated. i just zip-tied the bulbs directly to the grill after i removed my bumper. it dosnt look good but it gets the job done /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

12. ColAdo82K5

Hey guys,
    I believe all of the pigtails are the same mounting-wise and that all of our various trucks use "1157" bulbs for the turn signals.
    HOWEVER !!
    At autzone, we have pigtails that stick the wiring at a 90degree angle from the bulb..
    SO !!
    I can get a 83up grill with the built in signals and use those crazy slim design pigtails so i can have sweet bulb access and no drilling required...
    Sound good ?
    My guard isn't fitting properly,(it's for a 70's frame) so i think i might just trim the fenders, chop the chrome bumper up to be narrow, get the 83up grill and call it good enough for now. I wish i had the cash for a good bumper though.
    Blake

13. ColAdo82K5

Hey guys...after some junk yard seaching i have came up with this..
    1. The 80's radiator supports seem to be slighty different, just a small indention where the signal house is.
    2. The 83up pigtails are 90degree type while the 81/82 are straight style.

I was unable to find a good enough grill and didn't find any signal housings. Will a 80's van have the same housing ?

I might just do the "tie up the bulb behind the grill" trick until i can find the right grill with housings. I will have to move my tranny cooler out of the way to fit anything on the passenger side anyway.
    Blake

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I also had an '82 grille in mine which I epoxied the lenses to the grille - worked fine. Sounds good on the 90 degree pigtail.