Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Move Gas Tank Inside?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Mar 6, 2002.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

After looking at some rigs it seems like if you came of a ledge the first thing to hit would be your fuel tank. I was wondering if anyone has relocated there tank inside the cab. I don't really want to buy a fuel cell since I just got a new tank. If the tank was strapped down well and I wheeled with the top off to get rid of the fumes would there be any problems?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That just seems like a bad idea. The pre 73 trucks came with the fuel tank in the cab and there are kits out there to get them out of the cab.
    I have a truck, not a blazer, so without seeing the vehicle it seems like the gas tank could be located up a little, maybe a smal body lift would help with clearance.
    Or, make a skid plate and problem solved.
    -- Mike

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I like having my cell in the bed. You can look on my site below. But you said you didn't want a cell. The reason I went with the cell is I thought the tank was too thin/oddly shaped to fit anywhere for my bobbed truck. It sure would be a lot cheaper though to the tune of about $300. Have you considered raising it into the floor so it's about 1/2 inside the truck, 1/2 out? Then you could fab up a cover for it so it's still underneath. I've seen some heeps with that treatment.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have thought about what your are saying. I kind of like the idea, and might do it one day. The only thing you would have to deal with beside extending the fuel lines is possibly moving the filler neck higher up somehow. Probably just have to fill it up from the inside the cab though. And of course fabbing a cover for the tank.

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

A lot of guys with body lifts raise the tank with the body, kindof a cool idea.