Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Move to 454/400 on my 89 Burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ_Overdrive, Nov 16, 2005.

1. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

OK, it's pucker time. I have an opportunity to pickup a 454 (TBI)and matching 400 and need some reassurance, comfort :)

Current vehicle:
    1989 Suburban 1500 4x4
    350(TBI)/700R4
    NP241
    14 Bolt FF with detroit & rear disk brake conversion (4:10s)
    Dana 44 8 lug
    2" All spring lift (RC)
    16x10 with BFG 305/70R 16s
    4 core radiator and 454 shroud (conversion)

Current situation:
    Burb is stranded 200 miles from home (on my property but in the middle of no where), trans fluid blown all over interstate. Need to verify it's front seal or pan gasket. Will try to limp vehicle back home after replacing pan gasket and checking under inspection cover (check front seal).

I need this vehicle to tow a 7000lb trailer approx 400 miles round trip once per year and a 3500lb quad trailer about once a month (400) miles. Trans was rebuilt about 3 years ago and still shifts fine.

Want to have a good tow rig that has some sort of power.

The 350 engine runs OK, has the usual puff of smoke at startup but otherwise runs fine. Passes emmissions with flying colors.

Possible doner engine and trans:
    454 and 400 is from an 89 1 ton 4x4 pickup (newer style). Engine looks relatively clean and well maintained. Cannot use the transfer case since it is driver drop and realize that I will need to deal with the output shaft difference between the 700 and the 400. If I decide to purchase, allowed to see it run before pickup/pay.

Summary:
    OK, so I have read quite a few posts here concerning this type of swap. The 454 (TBI) comes with all accessories, wiring, computer, 400 trans with tcase adapter (not sure if this will work on the Burb), for $2200 and a 4 month warranty. Is that an OK price?

The Burb is used mostly for towing quads and long hauls.

Looking for opionions on price, swap, and any general comments (related to the post :))

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  2. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Just a followup question. I noticed that the 454 oil filter is on the driver's side just like my 350 but it does not hang strait down. It looks like it is attached directly to the block just like a Dodge. I am assuming this will be a problem trying to hookup my factory oil cooler adapter on the 89 Burb.

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

No suggestions, but I'll give you a free bump. I'm sure someone can help. Besides I want to hear what they have to say. :wink1:

4. dubbyx

dubbyx Registered Member

there's a guy in dallas wanting to trade a 454tbi for a 350tbi in Dallas...

found it in the texas 4x4 wanted section...