Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moved My Tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Dec 22, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Well, after almost smashing my tank many times on ledges, I decided to move the tank to the bed, but I also wanted to bob and narrow the rear end so the tank would have to be moved as far forward as possible. I still wanted to keep the seats in the back. Well this led to a problem, there are body mounts and a crossmember in the way.[​IMG]

I taped it off, you can see where thwe body mounts are:
    [​IMG]

The coolest magnet thingy ever. The girlfriend doesnt mind either:
    [​IMG]

Now this big 31 gallon thing needs to fit in there:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the cut crossmember, dont worry, I will be making a new one:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the hole, notice the body mounts in the way, they got cut off and will be relocated:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the tank sitting in the hole, it fits almost. still needs a little clearancing:
    [​IMG]

Here is the shot showing the tank above the framerails, the lines need to be put through a hole i need to make in the floor:
    [​IMG]

Here is the distance shot of the rear. I will add a skid plate just to be safe and to make it look better under there:
    [​IMG]

So far, I think this was well worth it. I still need to make the tank fit all the way down paint it up and then, the next big body mad. The bobbing. Then if thats not enough the narrowing comes next. HaHa. Oh and those of you wondering what the other holes are for, its for my shock hoops for my 15" ranchos.

2. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

looks good. i was contemplating on doing this mod myself, but i need the space for camping or skiing gear. i'll probably change my mind one day. do you plan on driving it on the street after the bob and narrow?

oh yah, see ya friday or saturday for them brackets. later.

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Looks good. Did you figure out whether or not your rear seat is going to fit? It looks like it will be a tight fit.

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm doing nearly thesame thing, cept I'll mount the tank farther rearward to accomidate the rear seat, plus I'll miss the crossmember!:D

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

the stock bench seat will be really tight but it will fit. but im going to put in the buckets from the front back there. they fit perfect. I do plan on driving it some on the street after the bob and narrow. I just need to get some big arse mud flaps and hope the cops dont care too much.

YuMuggin? richheezee: hey, i didnt paint them like i was going too, too much work on the K5, but I did clean them up. i might be gone between 12 and 6 but you could still stop by, my family will be there. just give me a call. 707-344-4203 when your gonna come by. tonight would be great but if that wont work then tomorrow will work.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking I want to fold up some 10 guage into a 5 sided box with 1 inch edges bent over again so I have something to attach to the floor and can seal it up.

7. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

no stress. i thought you meant stock black/rust or whatever color our rigs frames turn anyways.:haha: that reminds me i still gotta map the directions. too bad ur not going to be there. i wanted a tour of ur rig. next time meng. peace.

8. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

even though I own a K-10....I was going to drop my tank, and put in a 20gal. fuel cell. My tank is always getting hung up on rocks, stumps, hills..whatever, mainly because I have inch body lift on top of my susp. lift, and it sits below my body. but, I'm always hauling junk, and need the room. but, my next vehicle is either gonna be a K5 or a Cherokee...and out with the rear bench..and on with the cell.

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

Hey, if you get here a little earlier, i should be home. i am sure my dad will let you check out my blazer when im gone, unless he doesnt like you. just give me a call.

theitalian404: dont remove the rear seat, keep it, that makes it more fun because you can bring more people. my rear seat still fit. the tank is moved about 11" from the end of the bed too.