Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving a forklift?? Trip to Tucson

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 87GMCJimmy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

My friend just bought freaking fork lift for some reason. It's battery power and weights around 8k. I have acces to a trailer that can carry it and a truck to pull it but need some help/advice on how to get it on the trailer. The ramps for the trailer are only setup for car widths and are made out of angle iron. The forklift has 2 wheels at the front and only one in the rear, so I need at least three ramps. Even if I had 3 ramps I'm not sure if the forklift could make it up the ramps or not? I've never gotten to drive one.

Anyone have some heavy duty ramps that can just hang on the edge of a trailer? Or any other ideas for that matter?
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Maybe I can talk the owner of the trailer into letting me modifying it for 3 ramps. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, if anyone needs something hauled to Tucson, this weekend(maybe next) let me know.

Mike

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Are they the ramps that are shaped like a diamond or straight ramps that hang off the end of the trailer? I have the straight ramps and bent them badly pulling a 7K pound tractor on. Is there some kind of loading dock/ramp nearby that you could use to drive the forklift right on without ramps? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 87GMCJimmy

Yup, just the flat straight ones made out of 2-2.5 inch angle iron. There might be a loading dock where we are picking it up at but there is nothing at my friends house. Maybe we could build a dirt mound. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

He told me the battery alone weights like 2100 pounds....
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Mike

4. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

How high is the trailer? Maybe you could back it to the sidewalk and roll the lift on.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yea what Blaze said. You could also put a floor jack under the hitch to raise the front of the trailer to make the butt sit lower. By the way, what kind of a forklift is your buddy buyin?? The only 3 wheel forklifts I know are the kind you see hangin off the back of delivery trailers. Anywho's, good luck in your future.

Allan

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Mike,

When are you doing this trip...?

There's some stuff that FWP (Fred) and I have at Az Kickin (Bill's) that needs to be hauled back. Fred should have a T-350 trans at Bill's left by "Erich in Az", and I just have a couple of Daystar "johnny joints"....

Marv

7. 87GMCJimmy

8. 87GMCJimmy

The trip hasn't been setup yet, payment still needs to clear etc. I'll let you know when I'm going. I'd be happy to bring back a t-case for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

9. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Call the place your picking it up from and see if the have a fork lift that is rated for the weight of the lift. If so they could pick it and set it on the trailer when getting it off tilt the trailer and build a dirt ramp and roll it off. What is he going to do with a electric fork lift?