Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving axle forward....Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Sep 27, 2001.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

OK, I am really interested in moving my axle forward the 1" with the kit from ORD or the other company....it says you have to drill the plates??? what exactly does this mean and how hard is it?? Also what about the steering what will it take to make it right?? thx appreciate the info

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about the rear or the front. Either one you need to drill a new hole in the top spring plate for the spring pin. Easy to do with a hand drill.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I am talking about the front and will this change the angle of the drive shaft?? and would I just adjust the drag link to make it shorter .......( 1 inch) like the axle is moved 1 inch forward? thx

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would say yes to both questions. I have never done it myself but I plan to do the rear of my truck and know what is involved with that but the front I would say the drag link will have to be shorter and I think moving the axle forward would help driveshaft angle more then hurting it. Hopefully somebody that has done this can give some real good info on this subject with the front axle. I am curious to find out if moving the front axle an inch or so is actually worth doing or not. Also if it is done that might be a good time to do crossover steering too.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

In order to move your axle 1" forward, you need to drill the mounting plate / casting 1" further back where the spring mounts to the axle. You will also need to make new retaining plates, (plates that go overtop of the springs) to account for the relocated spring pin. After you get this done, you will notice that, YES, that drag link is WAY too short. This is the time to go cross over steering. I am making mine right now for my Dana 60 an it appears to line up o.k. One last note: the pinion angle is going to go further down unless you put a shim in there or mill the flange. Roughly, 2 degrees from where you started. I went ahead and put a 1410 u-joint on my axle to allow for more angularity.

E-mail mail me if you need any more info.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked