Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving battery, Behind front passenger seat. What to do with winch wires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the guy at Six States was telling me i need to use an interrupter somethin a ruther. cost like 180 or some crap.. Is there really a need for this? or can i just get some longer cables and route them along the frame and up through the floor to the battery? any other suggestions? thx.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You need the heaviest cables you can find. I'd say 4/0 should do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Silver84k5

why is that? i dunno what the stock ones are. but why wouldnt they work? i see rigs with winches on their bumpers, with those Wires that have the plugs on the end. whats up with those?

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You need the heaviest cables you can find. I'd say 4/0 should do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif dumbass

no you don't need all that crap and you don't need 0/4 gauge. just get some 1 gauge wires and reroute them. be sure to use gromets on all you penitrations and secure the cable well and you'll be fine.

5. Silver84k5

yea i kinda though that sounded sarcastic... funny guy eh.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What I am doing is mounting one of those heavy duty military distribution blocks on the firewall. I am running one cable from the battery behind the seat to that panel. then I am running the winch cable to that panel and another one to the starter. Alternator wire will also go there. One the ground side, I will use two cables from the battery, one to the frame and another one to the panel. Off of the panel I will put the winch ground (Its also grounded through the housing), and ground out to the body and whatever.

This should help keep the traffic to the battery down and avoid long cable along the frame and stuff.

I am considereing a rear winch where the gas tank is at right now and I would just hook that strait to the batttery.

7. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bit excessive dont you think?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know, what is the NEC spec for 500 amps going about 10 feet or so? I'll have to ask my dad.

It's certainly bigger than 1 gauge, I can tell you that.

My winch has the capability of pulling well over 400 amps.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Two things to keep in mind when moving a battery into the passenger compartment:

1) Make sure that sucker is held in place VERY well. In a rollover it could rip from its mount and start flying around inside your rig. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2) Use ONLY gel-cell type batteries, such as an Optima. A lead-acid battery can dump its contents on you when your rig is upside down. Getting bathed with sulfuric acid will ruin your whole day. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think you'd have to worry about it as long as the battery was in a box.

According to my dad he doesn't think 4/0 is even ENOUGH cable to pass 500 amps but he's going to check his book in a few minutes and I'll edit this post.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What are you up to Josh? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4/0 is good for ~400 amps, so technically not enough for a winch, and definitely not overkill.

13. Silver84k5

well what are the stock wires on the winch? i was just gonna buy the same [darn]......

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The stock wires on the winch are about 2' long. You cannot compare that to a run as long as that.

You can do it with small wire if you want, but have a fire extinguisher handy in case it lights on fire.

15. Silver84k5

[ QUOTE ]
    What are you up to Josh? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cornfed (Jason) is gonna help me narrow the front end. Then im either gonna take the rear skins off like supersize75, or dove it, like Sandman did. havent made up my mind yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Cassidy and jason did it to his rig, i cant wait to see it when he gets it back from the body shop.

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Aw crap. I thought my 2/0 stranded would be enough. Oh well. Mines mounted inside the frame rail just in front of the rear passenger tire. Looks like I'll have to redo when I add the second battery and a winch... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Aw crap. I thought my 2/0 stranded would be enough. Oh well. Mines mounted inside the frame rail just in front of the rear passenger tire. Looks like I'll have to redo when I add the second battery and a winch... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What I said isn't gospel, but number two or something isn't going to cut it for that kind of current.

To all y'all that said it was overkill, you might as well type up a retraction. Otherwise I've got 1500 pages of 2002 NEC at arms reach. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't like things "marginal" so I'll be redoing. Damn'd 4/0 stranded won't be cheap...

Thanks for the info!

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    why is that? i dunno what the stock ones are. but why wouldnt they work? i see rigs with winches on their bumpers, with those Wires that have the plugs on the end. whats up with those?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to check this issue out at work but I believe those big plugs are rated for 400 amps at least.

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think you'd have to worry about it as long as the battery was in a box.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What's gonna hold the box down? A 70+ pound battery suddenly becomes very heavy when subjected to the G-forces of a rollover. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I wouldn't trust my life to a plastic battery box and a hold down strap connected to some rusted sheet metal. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif