Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving Bumpers up after 3" body lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big89Burban, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

what did you guys do? I have access to a torch, welder, plasma table.. whatever you can think of. I just did the body lift last night and didnt have time to look at the bumper brackets. Do the stock brackets have enough material to make new holes and line the bumpers up again? Should I just have new brackets made out of plate? Whats the best way?

Thanks.

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I didn't move my front bumper up, but I did move my rear one up. All I did was unbolt the brackets from the frame, and put them in a set of holes that already existed, about 2.5 inches up. I had to drill a pair of hole in the frame for it, but that's about all I needed to do. Took me about 30 minutes.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Easiest thing to do to make it look right would be to make yourself some new bumper brackets.

4. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

another idea for ya....

Get some roll pans, notch them for the frame and wallah....
    Rear was a little trickier, don't have a good pic of it right now, had to notch for the frame rails, and make indentions for the tailgate hinges...

[​IMG]

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Make sure you make some really beefy ones if you have a hitch and ever plan on towing or putting a strap on there!

6. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I think I'll just check it out and have some made out of 3/8's plate. I dont wanna fill the gap. I wanna make it look like its not body lifted. :D

7. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

on the front, i was gonna cut the front few inches off of the frame, weld a piece of plate over it, then weld the front section of frame back on 3" higher

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

do your self 1 big favor. dont f with the frame rails. if you ever want to go back it will be harder to do it. and never as strong as a factory section of frame. and it looks crappy . do up some brackets .