Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving em forward

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I want to know what happens if I move the front axle forward with a zero rate. Want to get some more clearance. Does this effect steering at all? Anything else I need to know?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What it does is keep your tires from kissing the firewall when your suspension is in compression and steering turned.
    As far as what needs to be done/changed (from what I understand): you'll have to make your draglink shorter (just adjust it smaller) and you won't be able to use your sway-bar, unless you've got ORD's sway-bar disconnects.
    Oh, and you'll get 1" of lift, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I know 1" of lift. THing i don't like about that is I bet I will need a new driveshaft. 5" of lift and pushing the axle away from the Tcase, at least I need one of those shaft spacers. Wouldn't I?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm going crazy, but I could swear I read on here not too long ago that someone's running a 4" (maybe 6") lift, the ORD zero-rates (+1") and axle moved forward 1" - and all he had was the stock front shaft and a spacer. If that was YOU, speak up! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes please do cause I am really considering this.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm runnin 4" springs hill4wd shackles and a 1" spacer. sorry no zeros though.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, seems ColAdo82K5 has a "similar" setup. Maybe that's what I'm thinking of...I don't know. BUT, you'll most definitely be better off having yours extended. No doubt you'll be pushing the limit of that d-shaft with that setup even with a spacer. That will lead to short slip-yoke life/accelerated slop. You could also probably find a front driveshaft from a different truck (with a different tranny/t-case combo) that measures longer than yours and put that in there.

8. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I have a spacer with my stock from shaft and i have a 350/208 setup. But to tell ya the truth, my shaft might be from a 700/208 setup because my truck orignally came with that from the factory and i don't know who did the swap. (the 700 should be longer due to the added length of a 700 compared to a 350) To tell ya the truth, I've never thought about what setup my shaft is really from. BUT currently I have that shaft with a 1 inch spacer and a 6 inch lift. I have flexed it out fairly well on a wall and the shaft seems to do fine and i've never had a problem with it offroad. (no sway bar) I would say go for it.

BUT !!!! I worry about your steering more than anything....making your graglink shorter than it already is might cause some more bumpsteer or problems to that extent.

Blake

9. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I have 4" springs, 1" ORD zero rates and tghe axle moved forward 1". I had to run about 5 washers on each one of the bolts that bolt the drive shaft to the t-case (to space it out a little bit). I did have to adjust the steering however, and it came so close that if I had moved the axle 1.5" forward then the drag like would not have worked because the two Drag link ends would have hit. So mint came out pretty good. Once I get my Dana 60 in though ot will push the drive shaft back to where it should be because they are a little longer from the diff cover to the yoke. Hope this helps. Later
    -fLeXy K20