Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving front axle forward. Steering geometry?? Before Pics, need advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Mar 11, 2004.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I haven't done anything yet, just looking at any issues that might come up, and how far I can safely move the front forward. The space between the drag link and the tie rod, measured at the center of the frame, front to back is 3/4". At the center, looking rearward the DL is directly above the TR, with no gap visible. What do you guys think, how far forward could I go? Any other things for me to consider?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I moved mine forward an inch with zero rates, and i don't think I could go too much more with the stock D/L. Mine is adjusted almost all the way in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds tight. I was thinking of putting the tie rod in the front and moving the axle forward 3.5" to clear the tie rod and the drop steering arm.

How close is the Tie rod to the steering arm now when your flexed?

4. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    How close is the Tie rod to the steering arm now when your flexed?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oooo, good point! I better put it on the ramp first and check that distance, I don't remember how close it is...

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I redrilled my perches and plates for 1 inch forward and didn't have any problems. Then I made the stock draglink as short as possible and it drove on road fine. I never did get it offroad before I switched over to x-over steering. Now with the axle moved forward I haven't had to bend the x-over draglink to clear the engine cross member.

Mike

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yet another reason I stuck with low steer. Sorry, not much help other than "back to the top".

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

No help here either other than posting a link to the webshots photo album with the pics.

BIGJ

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmm, another thing that comes to mind (depending on up travel) is a straight drag link. I've never liked those bent ones anyway...

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Darth for helping with the pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now at least everybody can see what I have to work with /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Well, put the beast on the ramp. I've got 1 1/4" between the DLE and the tie rod at full left stuff. So it looks like thats all I'm gonna be able to go, without changing the steering (which I don't want to do). I need to keep the drop DL, otherwise I'll be into the crossmember.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Moving front axle forward. Steering geometry?? Before Pics, need advi

Funny thing about moving the axle foward... A strait DL often clears when the axle is moved foward. The strait DL seems to put more bind on the ends however. I say keep the bent piece, I see you have the WTO ram back on, that makes the stress on the DL bends a lot less.