Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving front axle forward

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by goldpin, Apr 22, 2005.

1. goldpin

goldpin Newbie

who here has done this buy going to 52" front springs, or 56" front springs, I can't figure out how these guys are doing it, because If pushed my axle forward at all my drag link and tie rod would make an "X", I am running high steer and crossover. And also how many leafs would you run in the 63" rear springs.

To see my problem click here

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

We don't have high-steer. Some of the guys have their high steer behind the axle.

3. goldpin

goldpin Newbie

hmmm I see, that would explain it, I guess its off to the spring shop for a custom set of 56's

Also about the 63" rears, how many leaves should I run? 3 with over load, 4 without over load? I am using a HD2500 spring pack to make a custom set.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 64" springs came with 5 plus overload. I removed the leaf 3rd from the top and the overload.

If you move the axle forward at all the draglink and tie rod cross as you probably already know. I'm running low steer but with a 80s style tie rod and ends. This gets rid of the stock "drop" tie rod that was used with flat tops. So, the tie rod ends up pretty high... well above the centerline of the axle tube. I'd thought about spending the money on behind-the-axle steering but it just doesn't seem realistic.

I moved the front hangers forward 6.5" so I ended up moving the front axle forward 4.5" with my 56" springs. There's no way you could run highsteer with that much interference.

PS: I've never seen a bent bumpstop bracket like yours before...