Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving front axle -- how?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Dec 14, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am looking at putting 39.5s under 6" lift with fender trimming. I have also heard that I may need to move the front axle forward to prevent tub contact.

How do you do that? Do you simply shear off the existing centering pin and put a bolt through at another location to act as a new centering pin? Is this right? How hard is it to do? How far forward can/should I move it? And are there any other things I should take into consideration (besides driveshaft length)? Is it going to impact my shock alignment, steering, or anything else?

Just a few questions!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Very Easy.
    Drill new holes in your axle spring pads and top spring plates, then move axle forward to align existing center pin to new holes. I moved mine forward 1" this way with no negative side effects. I am running BDS 5.5" springs on a Dana 60 with 36" tls radials. I do have some fender contact under extreme flex, but I have not trimmed my fenders and I have x-over steering with no sway bar.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can move the spring pin or you can use longer springs (I think rears will work with some leaves removed) and moving the front hanger forward. You can use the existing hardware and holes (plus two new drilled holes). The longer springs move the axle forward and give more flex. There are a couple of people on here who have done this (I can't remember if Marv Springer did or not, but he may know someone who has), but I do remember seeing pics on here, and if you look at your stock setup, you can see the front hanger only uses 2 of four holes and if you moved the hanger forward you would use the other holes, hard to explain but if you look at the front hangers you could see how the could be repositioned after you drill out the rivits and remount the pieces in a different order furthur forward. Not sure if you want to go through that hassle but it does give you more flex. Either way check your driveshaft length and make sure you have adequate spline engagement after the axle is moved forward.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

4. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

Moutain Offroad sells axle offset plates(pn 0p25) to move axle forward or backward by 3/4 or 1 inch. They are small plates with one hole on either end in which the spring pin sits and a pin which goes in the axle. Check Mudzer's post about 39" tires or go to www.mountainoffroad.com for more info.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Clicky: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mountainoffroad.com>www.mountainoffroad.com</a>

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    Excite @Home SUCKS!
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

6. what about the stock drag link? will it work or is this only a mod you cross over guys?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

This is what I did, useing stock rear 52" springs moved to the front. Relocated the front axle about a inch forward. The pics are crappy, but it all I have for now. <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=viewChanges&amp;type=user>http://community.webshots.com/scripts/misc.fcgi?action=viewChanges&amp;type=user</a>

BlueBeast:
    Stock drag-links are too short to begin with, so moveing the axle forward just makes it even shorter. Cross-over steering would be ideal. I relocated the 'gear and tilted it (useing stock like drag-link), so the pit-man arm arc is more level and in-line with the spring movement. I did this so I could keep the sway-bar.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.