Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving front shackle mount - (picture of my 1ton S-10 Hybrid)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim Johnson, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I am having trouble with the search feature, but anyway, due to my shackle angle, I am going to move my front shackle mount forward to improve shackle angle. I would just like to see some pics of the ones you guys have done.

I have a 83 burb frame with 4" springs....

Thanks for any help that can be provided

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: moving front shackle mount

No pics, but it's no big deal. Not really worth taking a picture. Hardest part is cutting the new hole for the bushing mount to pass through. Just find a way to cut a 1.875" hole and your gold. You will also need to make a cardboard template of the cast bushing mount so that you can orient it correctly to sit low in the frame channel and to position the holes accurately. Reattach with G8 3/8 bolts using hardened flat washers, crimp lock nuts, lock washers and red high strength lock tight. On the passenger side you will likely need to move the brake line. I made new shackles out of 3/8" plate with holes at 7.5" CL so that the eye clears the frame. I also have a custom BDS pack with an 8" main and a 4" support pack plus I have the front mount moved 2.5" forward (net lift, 4").

3. Jim Johnson

I already have the shackle mount removed from the frame. I have a friend with a Plasma cutter who said he would cut the hole. That is a good idea about the lock tight and lock washers....

I have also made some shackles out of 3/8" steel, but I have not measured them.

I was going to move the shackle back and run longer springs, but I decide just to keep what I have and move shackle forward.

here is a pic [​IMG]

4. Jim Johnson

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice hybrid, I like... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Wish I could see the rest of the pics but not interested in signing up... You can see my junk on my web page in my profile. Latest pics are in the Blazer Bash '03 link.

6. Jim Johnson

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Nice hybrid!!!!!

[hi-jack] How wide is your trailer? Do you have to drive over the fenders, or does it fit? Where did you get it?? How much?? [hi-jack/]

Nothing like a 1-ton S-10 hehehehehehe

BTW- Whats your weighing in at??

Rob

8. Jim Johnson

I haven't weighed it, but I will once I get the exo cage built

the trailer is a standard car hauler, 2-3500lb axles, Currently I stack 3 -4x4 blocks next to one fender and drive over it. I will soon be building "bridges" over each fender.

I bought the trailer new last year ( with used tires) - 1,000.00 (cash) - brakes on one axle.....Great trailer, built heavy - hauls great....