Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving front springs forward?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Nov 2, 2003.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok i know this has been covered before but i searched and cant find it. Is it possible to move the front spring hangers forward an inch or two to help with rub issues and to get a little better approach angles? What i am considering is moving the front spring hangers forward 1 to 2 inches and then using either 52,56 or furd 57's up front for better flex and approach angles. Anyone tried this? if so let me in on the secrets and difficulties. The k5 is gunna become a trail only rig with just road time to and from the whelling spot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its been done, I know I posted a 52" front spring thread a day or two ago adn its what people do in that case. If you will run stock front springs why not get zero rates and move the axle and inch or inch and a half forward. I will likely do this in the not too distant future.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    See those other two holes on the 90* hanger just in front of the spring hanger? grind the current hangers rivets off and move it forward to the other two holes.

I am going to a ford 57" swap into the front of my K5. I'll do an article when I complete the job.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

How's this

[​IMG]

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I drilled new holes in the spring perches and the caps. I was able to move the axle forward 1.25" real easy. It helped the clearance so much that I'm dropping the suspension down some.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I moved my front spring hangers forward to the next set of holes. You have to flatten the bracket because it is convex and things won't fit up. Then you have to drill new back holes. I bolted that in with 6 G8 bolts, lock washers, and High Strength red locktite. I also welded the bracket in place around the perimeter.

The front spring shackle mounts are moved forward about 4-5" and use 7.5" C/L shackles to clear the frame. I also have a 2" longer main leaf which combined gives me a nice shackle angle in front.

The axle is also moved forward on the spring pack by 2" using home made, bolted in, offset plates.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Where do you get the 2" longer leaf springs? Sounds like a real good idea.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I was talking to BDS support (who connected me with BDS research or whatever they called it, the guys do prototyping and new product stuff) about the cop-out used by all lift spring manufacturers where they shorten the spring to allow frame clearance on compression. Anyway, they sent me a “one off” prototype main leaf that was actually an 8” lift very low rate prototype. I combined that with my standard BDS 4” lift support pack and it gives me +2” eye to eye at static height.

[Edit] BTW, it's not uncommon for people with trail only rigs to get something like a 6" or 8" lift spring (Superlift is common) and remove a leaf or two to get the height you want with a low spring rate and longer spring. The higher lift springs are longer due to the circumference of the arch. 8” lift is usually around 2” longer. Problem is longevity goes in the tank due to over flex... Cool thing for me is that BDS still honors the warranty on mine, though what they will do about the "one-off" main leaf beats me. But I'm not concerned, they have been great to work with so far.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm, I've got an extra skyjacker 6" spring sitting around. Too bad I only have one though.