Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving gas tank into bed? (Like a Fuel Cell)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, May 27, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I am really getting eager to pull the stupid tanks from under my truck and was wondering until I saved up enough for the fuel cell I want can I take a tank out and put it in the bed? If I pull them both out and just cut the alumnium lines and re-connect them with rubber fuel lines will this work? or am I just missing the big picture? Can the stock mechnical fuel pump do it? Any info would be great. Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I am considering doing this myself, with a 71 K20. Originally, the tank is behind the seat, [not a good thing] I am going to make a tank, and set it right behind the cab, in the box.

The stock pump should'nt have a problem, the tank/cell, will be setting higher, than before, and just use good quality, fuel/pcv hose for the hookup's, try to keep the line's short, say 6"-8" in length. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i plan on doing the same thing, only with a combination toolbox/fuel cell... it can be done

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Sure! Just draw it out, figure out what capacity You want for fuel, [mine's gonna be around 40 gallons] and build the toolbox on top.

Use Stainless Piano Hinge for the door's, and get the rest powder coated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. I've been thinking in a k5...remove tank to do shackle brackets, then cut hole in floor above tank, box it in so floor transitions about another 4" up at the end of the truck to get original tank out of the rear departure angle. Could use the cut piece from the floor to make a hatch to access tank in future. Probobly to much work "" have to look,not sure if there's even that much room underneath?"" but you wouldn't loose so much space behind the tail gate for stuff.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just raise the rest of the rear "cargo area" up to match the height of the "access panel". With decent, treated 2x4's? To get away from having a ledge around the panel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

just make sure you use some kind of rubber gasket seal on the hatch, since it's gonna be exposed to the under vechicle elements. my 71 has a few small rust holes in the back and it's amazing how much exhaust gets in the cab just through those. Also any kind of water crossing, be it a creek or an intersection, you'll get some water in the cab.

8. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Well I think this turned into another "fuel cell" post, my question originally was can it be done with a stock tank moved up into the bed UNTIL I have enough money for a fuel cell? Any probelms I am going to run into? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

On a pickup? or a K5?

Pickup yes, K5 probably not. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah I drive a K20 and I was just going to move one of the tanks to the bad and pull the other one out compleatly. Also I about keeping the rubber lines short... they would have to be like 3 feet /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif not 8".... WOuld it work?
    -fLeXy K20

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just add some short length's of steel tubing, and then the short rubber lines. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i plan on doing the same thing, only with a combination toolbox/fuel cell... it can be done

[/ QUOTE ]

tractor supply has some nice ones like that. They have them on their website.

13. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Yes it will work just fine. I have a'72 and I took my tank out from behind the seat and trashed it (full of holes). Then I put a fuel tank from a'75 or so C10 and put it up behind the cab in the bed. My fuel lines are about 2.5' to 3' long and there are no problems with the stock fuel pump setup. Just make sure to fabricate some good mounting straps so the tank doesn't move around (ask me how I know) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've been running this setup for about 3 years now with no problems. I was gonna get a fuel cell after a while, but I keep buying other stuff instead.

Will

14. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Is this what you are looking for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The support is made of angle iron and c-channel welded together. We left the factory brackets on tank and bolted them to the c-channel. Then we bolted it through the floor with existing bed bolts. We drilled two holes in the bed for the fuel lines and connected the rubber fuel lines from the tank to the hard lines under the bed. Under the tank we got some treated lumber for it to rest on and padded the mounting straps with bicycle innertubes. We have yet to fabricate a bracket on the bed to keep the filler neck up and a hinged cover to cover the tank itself.

One thing you should know is that since the tank is higher than factory the gas wants to run gravity feed the carb. We experienced this as we were taking the fuel line loose that goes into the front of the carb. An easy fix is to loosen the cap on the filler neck and it relieves the pressure.

15. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

And for our next trick we will make a 150hp NOS kit with duct tape, shoelaces, and whipped cream cans....geez guys...treated 2x4s?

16. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And for our next trick we will make a 150hp NOS kit with duct tape, shoelaces, and whipped cream cans....geez guys...treated 2x4s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the treated lumber is more like 2x8 or 2x10 and it was used for a couple of reasons: 1. it raised the tank off the bed and allowed the original mounting holes to set flush with the channel iron and make for a better mount; and 2. this pickup is military surplus and the tank had a skid plate, the removal of which left two bolts sticking out of the bottom of the tank brackets. Drilling holes in the lumber for these bolts to set in made it possible to hold the lumber in place and provide for a non-metal surface for the tank to ride on.

The inner tubes were used to replace the shot-all-to-hell anti squeak material GM used on these tanks. The material could not be located locally and rather than sit on our ass and wait for someone like LMC to ship it, we improvised and used what was on hand.

The original post asked a pretty straight question and this is just one answer on how to go about it.

Your comments were not needed.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah I really dont see why your comments were needed here. 73K10Sub had exactly what I was looking for, pictures and everything. If you dont have something helpful to say just stay out of the topic. His setup worked good and it doesn't really matter if he used wood or not. Actually as a matter of fact I dont hear you critizing GM; GM used wood as the base of their beds in their 70's trucks. It seemed to work fine for them.....
    -fLeXy K20

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ever looked at an older(73 to 88) 1 ton flat bed? omaha flat beds used to and still does in some cases use UN TREATED wood to make the frame flat for thier flat beds. and thats a one ton.
    Grant

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Don't take it personally. I'm just admiring the suggested methods of mounting what amounts to a 225lb bomb in the back of a truck.

Yes flatbeds use wood beds, I have two. But the gas tanks are not riding in em, they're hung in the frame rails where they belong. You want me to criticize GM? Here ya go...hanging the fuel tank outside the framerails was the stupidest thing since greedo shooting first. Had they not done that this thread would not exist and I would not be pissing people off.

Now I gotta head to the grocery store for supplies for my nitrous kit

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think if my roof can be supported by wood and i feel safe to go in my house, a 200lbd tank can be supported to wood and maybe even a bit of metal.
    Grant