Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving rear 10B ring and pinion to front 10B - can they be interchanged?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jan 30, 2003.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I put a 14B on the rear with 4.56 gears. I need to get 4.56 gears on the front but before I spring for a D60, can I put the R&P gears from the rear axle into the front axle???

I plan to install the 4.56 gears on the rear end differential setup the once it was ready I will install it in the front. This will shorten the time I need to have the front axle apart.

I realize the rear axles are clipped in with C clips but the front axles just pull out. Is that a problem??? Will the front axle shafts mount into the rear gear assembly???

Thanks for any input.

Chris

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I think ring & pinion will swap straight over,seems like the side gears in diff have to be swapped cause of axle splines. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As stated the 28 vs. 30 spline 10 bolt side gears may cause a problem, but if you are going to swap just the ring gear and the pinion, you should be all set. Only issue is if you are changing out gears that are lower than 2.73's (or close to that ratio) as that is where the carrier break is.

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: Moving rear 10B ring and pinion to front 10B - can they be interchanged

the stock front axle in your '86 truck should be 28 spline axles, if the rear differential you are removing the gears from is an '88 or earlier it will be 28 spline also, the carrier and gears will interchange, you just won't need to use the c-clip on the axles.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The front and rear carriers are the same on a 10-bolt axle. The only thing that matters on our trucks with regards to 10-bolts is the spline count. Other than that, there is no difference.