Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving spring perch on a 14 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Oct 17, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i have a fab guy coming over next weekend to move my spring perches on my 1 ton 14 bolt ff - i am putting the 14 bolt under my 86 k5. can someone tell me what my center to center measurement needs to be. it is too difficult trying to measure my stock axel with the springs in place. i did a search and saw a few different measurements - i want to get this perfect the first time...

2. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you have the Van width? I'll go look at mine they were moved just recently.

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

no, the 14 bolt came out of an 87 k30...

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Mine is 42.5"; however, my suggestion is to cut off the perches, set the axle in place, set the preches in place, square your springs, rotate the axle if necessary, snug up the u-bolts, re-check the alignment and tack the perches in place, drop the axle and weld the perches in place.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, what Fred said is about the best way to do it.

Rene

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

make sure you set the vehicle down on the rear end with the springs compressed before you set the pinion angle /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif...when u dont bad things happen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

thanks for the feedback gents - can i get some other folks to chime in. i ask because a read a post where a few folks were going back and forth on the measurement.

as i understand my 1987 14 bolt (1 ton; k30) is 40.5 from spring perch center hole to center hole. my 1986 k5 is 42.5 from center hole to center hole. i will be moving each spring perche one inch outside (towards the hub). again, i am just looking for another confirmation before i weld these into place. thanks...

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I just did mine last week. All K5's have spring perches that are 42.5" from center pin to center pin. 1 ton axles are 40.5" from center pin to center pin. Just measure your 14ff and make sure its 40.5. Once you cut them off, make sure to move each side 1 inch towards the hub, then measure from center pin hole to center pin hole to make sure its 42.5". Then make sure they are level or, off level, if you want to eliminate shimms. Then weld them in and youll be done. Wasnt that hard for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my 1986 k5 is 42.5 from center hole to center hole. i will be moving each spring perche one inch outside (towards the hub).

[/ QUOTE ]

What other kind of confirmation are you looking for? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

just do it right the first time....I just rewelded mine for the 3rd time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Not fun....keep in mind that means i had to cut them off 4 times now...trust me my welds are strong, got good at grinding welds though...

42.5 center to center...i also had to rotate my pinion up a hair as well...

My axle the center perch hole was 5&5/8" from the inner backing plate flange and the outside of the perch was 4&3/8" from the inner flange on each side...yours should be close to those numbers...i bolted up dead nuts the final time...

11. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i got my spring perches cut off and welded back on. everything worked out good but if i had it to do over again i would have picked up a new set of spring perches (they are cheap). it was just a pain in the ass to grind them off evenly - i had to concentrate on not cutting into my axel housing and keeping both perches true to the roundness of the axel. again it worked out, it was just a pain. i also tilted the pinion up a bit using some west virginia math. now all i need to do is move my shock mounts and i am ready to bolt up...
    [​IMG]