Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving the body?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen91, Sep 3, 2002.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Have any of moved the body on your trucks back? I was thinking of moving back about 2 inches since I haven't set it on the frame yet. Just want to know if anyone has done this and what problems, if any, you had. Thank you.

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Has no one done this???? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Yeah, I don't get it. Why would you want to do that?

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Running large tires with a small lift, the tires rub the fire wall. To stop this people move the axle forward. My idea, since the body is not on the frame yet, is to move the body back a few inches. This would also give me a better approche angle. I am also open to your ideas and opinons on this.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    That actually seems like a good alternative to moving the axle, by moving the body you won't have to touch the steering system at all (except making the steering arm longer). It seems that you'd be having to move a lot of wires and linkages though.

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I wasn't worried about that as the wireing harness is in a box. I haven't figured out how to extend the trottle cable, but that can figured out later. I thought I would do a floor mount shifter for the th400. And I forgot about the steering column, but that will be easy. Thanks for the input.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I moved mine back roughly 1". Wasn't a real big deal, could have gone farther but 1" came easy...

9. BadDog

If you don't do some surgery to the bumper and core support, your not going to help approach angles without moving the axle (which I also did). When I do my tube front, the radiator is going back a couple of inches and the front of my frame will basically be right at the front spring mounts. Shifter is still using the stock sift rods. Steering shaft has enough stretch so no troubles there. Plenty of slack in the brake lines, hydro hoses, wires, etc... Your biggest problem will be relocating the frame mounts, that is, unless you replace the floor supports like I did. Best part of that is that you have a GREAT place to mount the cage without screwing with sandwich plates, rubber spacers, bushings, and other frame mount problems...

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Thanks Russ. Did I read right that you used the stock coloum shifter? That is what I would prefer, just didn't know if it would work. Moving the body mounts will be easy because the body is off the frame. Project Eeyore Here are pics of the project as it stands now. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. BadDog

Yes, I used the stock shifter and all I did was readjust it.