Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving the crossmember when swapping to a TH700 from a TH350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Aug 6, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, im just about ready to get going on my trans swap I am just gathering info now. When I move the t-case cross member back, should I drill new holes or just weld it on, the only reason I say just weld it is because I can figure out how im going to drill into the upper frame rail without going in at an odd angle. I know I shouldnt weld it cuz it will just end up being a pain if it ever needs to be removed.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

just drill new holes /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and why do you need to drill the top frame rail?????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

because part of the crossmember goes to the upper rail, There are four bolts holding each side, two on the upper and two on the lower

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ah sorry i was thinking of mine that only has 2 on each side /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif i would still drill it though if you weld it you will regreat it when you or the next person goes to pull the tranny

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Dude, When I lowered my T-case, I didn't bother to reconnect the bolts on the upper framerail on the passenger side, And the part of the crossmember that wraps up and around the side of the frame on the drivers side I just whacked off with the plasma cutter. No probs yet. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif So I'd say just re drill some new holes in the lower frame rail and move it back. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I used a 90 degree drill, had no problems. I also removed the rivits holding the two ends on and replaced them with bolts. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

If you don't have a 90 degree drill then go to home depot and use a really long drill bit (7/16). They cost about 18 dollars. I still haven't added the upper brackets since the conversion (lazy) and it has been about 4 months.

8. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Can you do a write up of the conversion and take some pictures? I bet a lot of us with the older trucks would like to swich transmissions the next time they go out.

9. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I can try, still havent started on it yet. I would like to have a trans jack to use but i may have to work without one. I have the money now to order the new output shaft for the 2wd trans so it shouldnt be too long before I get going and ill try to take plenty of pictures and remeber how i did everything

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I would drill new holes...in this hobby you never know when you get an itching to swap parts.I've already swapped out my auto to an manual and thinking of doing a different t-case.Mike