Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving the rear axle back an inch... whats involved?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, May 9, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i am going to be getting a new rear driveshaft from high angle driveline when I do my t-case swap... and I was wondering what else I'd need to do to move my rear axle back an inch or 1.5" to get better departure angles and a little less angle in my rear driveshaft. I haven't set up my rear shock mount yet (55willy x-member) so the shocks are not a problem... but is there anything else? Is it really as simple as using a ORD zero rate in the spring pack and bolting the springs back up?

Anyone moved theirs back 1.5"? if so, any problems with that? I have a ORD shack flip which moves the axle forward a bit... so I was thinking that 1.5" might move it back an 1" or so from stock. What do you guys think? I originally wasn't planning on moving either front or rear axles... but since I am getting new shafts etc etc I figured now would be the time. Info appreciated!

J

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just get the ORD off set 0's. E-brake cable will have to be adjusted. everything else should be good to go.

3. jekbrown

cool jeremy. Does using ORDs zero rates increase the likelyhood of axle-wrap any?

J

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I personaly don't think a 1" block will "wrap" on ya that much, if any. Your not going to tell it's back there.

5. jekbrown

cool. I dunno... it just seems like (looking at pic of blocks on ORD) that the 1.5" hole is quite a ways from the center... looks like it'd be getting close to the edge of the perch and that that might cause problems. Well, I guess the only way to be sure is to try it and if it causes problems, go to moving it 1" back instead. Not like the half an inch would pose much of a problem to the HAD shaft.

It would be nice to increase the departure angle some. I am ditching the factory hitch and my rear bumper in favor of something tucked up higher... but with the gas tank where it is, the departure angle will never be very good. Moving the axle back will help a lil tho. I am pondering solving the gas tank problem by mounting a poly tank to the floor behind the drivers seat... and then mounting a bucket seat behind the passanger side. That'd allow me to bring someone along (with me and my gf!) and yet my gas tank issues would be solved. I dunno, after I get the cage installed... I'll look into that stuff more I think....

J

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

The block is still centered on the axle, the spring pack center bolt is the one that goes through the off set hole.
    Mike(trcksR4me) is doing the offset ones also.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

be careful moving the rear axle back if you have a oversize fuel tank. The eaton 3/4 ton rear axle in my '70 has less than a inch clearance from the 37 or 39 gal tank in it.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the reminder.
    Only thing is when he installed the ORD shackle flip it moved the axle forward, so he isn't gaining the full 1.5" it'll only be about 1" or close to it, in moving it back. Should be no problem Jason.

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I moved mine back 1.5" with <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo71/aai?full=1>this</a> block I designed. I bought the block from a local spring shop and fabbed the rest myself. I have been running this setup for over a year with no problems. Under full stuff the tire is in the center of the wheel well. The ORD shackle flip will move your axle forward, the block will put it back to the original location. You do have to redrill the top spring plate to accomadate the new location of the centering pin in relation to the plate.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Depends on your overall setup too, Jason. I have the standard zero rates with 4" lift springs and NO axlewrap, just hooks up and goes. However, you have those funky Revolvers so that is a factor............never did hear from you on how they handle on the street.

11. jekbrown

thanks for the input guys... i will look at it tomorow to see what clearance is gonna be like. Like 55 said, I have the ORD flip... so its moved forward a bit and I dont think it'll be a problem clearing my 31 gallon tank. That said, I'll check it!

BlazzinOR: I am still reserving judgement on the revolvers... I dont have my HOO rear shock xmember installed yet... so my shocks/brake lines are severly limiting how much the revolvers can open up. Until I take a corner at decent speed with my final suspension installed... I won't know how they are onroad. If they are a problem, I'll rig up a connect/disconnect system for them... and if that doesn't work, I'll go with something else. Either way, I gotta do the axle swap before I finish messing with the suspension.

J