Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving the stock gas tank higher???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Feb 26, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm looking at moving the stock 31" gallon tank up as high as I can. I have a 2" body and I think I can cut the back of the frame horns open and slide it between the rails. I think I can get 3" out of doing this.

pros:
    ground clearence
    room for diff to compress
    better departure angle
    better fuel range over a 25 gallon( 2" diff.)

cons:
    ???
    sacrifice some time,lol

-Jeremy

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I am interested in doing this as well, I believe /heard thhat you need to do some trimming or cutting of the crossmember, I also have a 40 gallon sub tank that I would like to install, but with gas prices it would only see use on long trips.

we need pics or comments here /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif!

and why is it you are always on when I am? Even at 3 in the morning your on here, seems we have the same problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

More clearance on the tender spots is always welcome.Don't see a thing wrong with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yes the two crossmembers would have to be cut and modded, which is not a prob.
    a 40 gal. tank is too big for a blazer ubless you have plenty of lift to get it to slide forward some since they are about 6" longer then a K-5 tank.

-Jeremy

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

How bout putting cross members under the tank?Make good mounts for skidplate.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

that could work too. I'm gonna use the stock crossmembers just reworked to mount them higher. I have a stock skid plate that will bolt right back up once it is completed.

-Jeremy

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've looked into this and plan on doing it this next month. the other people that have done it have just modified the stock crossmebers and raised them up with spacers. They trimmed the bottom of the crossmember so it could raise up in the frame and then put round spacers under the top part. I think I can raise mine up like 3.5"'s on a 3" body lift.

8. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of doing this..but cutting my out so I wouldn't have to run a body lift, I was just going to turn the factory mounts upside down. Instead of holding the top it would just cradle it.

9. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

What about putting a poly tank in the bed?

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna do this once it warms up a bit here since I need to replace my gas tank anyway. I figured I'd go with a poly tank so I don't need to worry about weld seams getting in the way of anything like on the factory tanks.

11. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

I do not have a K5 but have a K10 pickup. I put a 3" body lift on it and lifted my gas tanks up 3". I jest re drilled the gas tank brackets, planing to put skid plates under them and now the bottem it sits level with the frame rails.

Andrew
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used stock crossmembers to mount a K5 tank on my K30 buggy and raised it 2" above the frame when I did it. I posted some pics a while back, but can't find them now...

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

on the k5 tank the tank has a lip that stops me frome just raising it, I am not against raisig the body up a couple feet but it seems that trimming or hacking up the cross member is the best option,

mine hang low and it really needs to go up, I dont think I could go up a full 3 inches though because the filler neck on the tank. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

does any one have pics ?
    my tank looks gross and has no protection, it almost ate the dust too when I dropped the rear of the blazer down 2 feet when I had the axel out, thank gawd that reciever hitch was half way on /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[​IMG]

14. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I asked this same question a few months ago. Try a search for raising gas tank or somethin by me. I got some links to pics of a stripped down frame from COLLISION to check out what is exactly involved.

15. Pure Insanity

I FOUND IT! I have been looking the whole time since I posted. I ended up having to go thru all the posts I have made since and found it somewhere around July. I came to the conclusion I run my gator too damn much! Here it is anyway. I hope it helps some.

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thank you thank you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That'll give me what I need to go with.

-Jeremy

17. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

pros:
    ground clearence
    room for diff to compress
    better departure angle
    better fuel range over a 25 gallon( 2" diff.)
    Forgot one...
    When ya back over a honda ya dont get his nasty honda paint on the gas tank. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    After that lil incident I have considered cutting a hole in the bed and raising the tank up till it is clear and then fabbing a cover out of sheet metal

18. Pure Insanity

Glad to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also glad you can use it I looked for an hr and a half to find it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The mistake I made was two fold, 1st mistake was I didnt look back far enough in my search, then when THAT failed I should have looked off of COLLISIONs posts. He doesnt have nearly as many as I do in the last yr. LOL!

PS. whats the status of your project Willys/Blazer? Is that it in your avatar? Id like to see some pics of it since I havent seen it in so long. Last I seen you were still fitting the floor up to the body.

19. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Naw thats not the pic of it, just one 502 4x4 rounded up for an avitar. I'm still gathering parts. Doing the next stage now. It'll consist of the gas tank mounting, and dropping in the motor/tranny/t-case. then the body can go on.
    For this I need to:
    1)pick my cam
    2)get my heads checked
    3)Order the TBI harness

I'v got the shocks lined up, just need $40 more to send off for those.

I'm also doing 57" fords in the front. which I just got. I'll end up with about 5" front and 6" rear on the lift.

My buddy scored some 40's for me so I got to check those out.

But there should be a rash of pics coming in the next 2 months as I push to the finish (never done just driveable/useable,LOL)

-Jeremy

20. Pure Insanity

Sounds good atleast your still making progress. Ive seen lesser projects burn out and end up scrapped. Looks like your not too far off tho. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Be sure to let us know when the next round of pics are up. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif