Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving the TBI electronics to a waterproof box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Dec 15, 2006.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I was just thinking... What if a i built a waterproof case for the ESC, EGR sensor, MAP sensor, and Coil pack and mounted it on the firewall? This would mainly just get them out of the way and make it looked less cluttered, just extend the wires and the couple of vaccum lines and get that bracket off the intake so i can drop my air cleaner directly onto my TB without a spacer (unless it would still hit the distributor, hmm). Just a thought, has anyone else done anything like this?

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

One word Tupperware:D

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Hey this seems like a good idea.
    let me know if u do it.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Or if you need metal, a surplus ammo can, they're waterproof.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It is a hell of a lot easier to just smear them with a little silicone. Thats what i do. But they are called "water proof "connectors after all.
    If you do move them and cut any wires be sure to solder and shrink wrap ALL electrical connections and splices and wipe with silicone to waterproof them or they will give false readings. Better yet if you are that worried about that stuff... move it all inside the cab where you can lock it up and it will be safe. I hear MAP sensors are real hot on the black market these days.

6. mr.smartass

well it'd mainly be just to relocate them to get them out of the way, but you might as well take a little extra time to make it water proof, I'd just have to find a place to mount it because It's already a little crowded back there.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I did the TBI conversion on my '78 I mounted everything in the glove box (is that what you call too?)

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Nah! Here in the states its called the gun box.:D

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Driving arund London before they took away our handguns I used to carry my .45 in a Miami Classic shoulder rig leaving the 'glovebox' free for ........., well, actually it was usually full of the wifes crap seeing as she sits on that side.:haha:

10. mr.smartass

lol, or the "no it's locked and you can't search it without a warrant or probable cause officer!" box.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Now thats neat. But is that by state?

12. mr.smartass

I don't know... I just heard that Jay-Z song "99 problems" and it says it in there but it's definately worth looking into. In the song the officer follows it with, "We'll see how smart you are when the K9 gets here" so there's always ways for them to get around it. But i'd like to find out.

Ok back on topic, moving it all to the glove box might work, but what about the small vacuum lines on the map sensor and egr? would it mess those up with they got to much longer?

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is this even worth considering?

I'm just curious as to how susceptible the sensors are to water. As mentioned all connections are water-resistant, the only piece NOT designed that way is the ECM, although Corvettes for a few years did have. If the ECM when mounted underhood required a different design, but the sensors didn't, I have to question if the sensors are really worth trying to waterproof more than maybe some grease.

They all seem to be pretty solid/glued.

14. mr.smartass

It's more for the relocation of the coil and that bracket on the manifold so it will look cleaner and I can lower my aircleaner directly onto the TB, I've heard this can free up airflow a good bit. plus I think it'll look nice.

15. blazinzuk

I have done it before on my zuk and on other peoples rigs. Anything we thought would drown that we could mount in a tupperware container we did. Easy to work on cause you just take the lid off. We did end up having to vent at least one of them inside the cab to prevent it from heating up. It was a computer on an Isuzu trooper. BTW this was is prep for a trail where we knew we had to ford a creek that could be as deep as 5 ft. It ended up being about there and no one had any problems. It also looks kind of dumb in your engine bay.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You really want to be careful mounting these things in enclosed environments. Some of this stuff tends to run warm, air circulation is a good thing.

I've got a coil bracket from a Camaro on my truck, happened to bolt right up to the (diesel fuel filter bracket threaded holes) firewall of my truck. So it's up off the intake clear of that stuff. Looks weird somewhat, but it works and I'm not trying to impress anyone but myself.

I made a bracket that moved all the relays and ESC stuff to the master cylinder setup, which again looks odd, but is off the engine. Of course, I had plenty of spare wiring (original Camaro harness) so I could do this without lenghtening or shortening anything.

17. blazinzuk

Entirely true we used a temp gun to check the temps on all but a few things we knew would be fine

18. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What's this coil you speak of? My TBI conversion has the ECM and relays all mounted in the cab, and I put them in a metal box between the seats for easy access when messing with stuff. The MAP is cable tied up high on the firewall someplace. I have an aftermarket open element air cleaner right on the throttle body.

19. mr.smartass

well my TBI is stock and the coil that goes to the distributor is mounted on the intake and when i tried to lower my air cleaner down on to it, it hit the coil and the bracket with the ESC, the EGR solenoid, and the map sensor on it. I can build the bracket down but i don't like it there, and the coil still hits.

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

here's your solution....
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HYP%2D4001&N=700+400318+4294925239+4294908216+115&autoview=sku
    [​IMG]

$44.00 at Summit, and it'll do exactly what you're looking to do with removint the spacer under your air cleaner, only it'll do a better job of it.