Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving to Alaska...quite possibly

Discussion in 'North Region' started by BlazerFarm, May 6, 2005.

1. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

It looks like there's about a 85% chance that I may transfer to Anchorage, AK at my work sometime in the next 1.5 to 2 months. How many Alaskans are here on CK5? Does anyone have experience with that long move from the lower 48? Any tips?

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Born n bred. been here 23 years. Military? Driving up or flying?

3. BlazerFarm

Not military, Providence Health System. I'm assuming I'd be driving since I have to move all my stuff up there. The reason the move is 85% is because since I'm applying for an internal transfer I'm not sure yet if I get relocation. I should know sometime in the next two weeks if I got the job and if it includes relocation. If relocation then Providence would move me and it would be paid for. I'd have to drive my vehicle up.

If no relocation I'd have to find out what the costs are to move and decide if the job would be worth it. At that point I guess I'd be driving the Alaska Hwy.

One question that I have is related to my guns and going through Canada as I'm driving to Alaska. Are you allowed to take them through? Also, what kind of ID is required to cross into Canada and then into Alaska? What about pets (cats)? I know that some of this stuff is online. I've just started to look into this.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When my family crossed from Canada to the US, then from the US back to Canada...all we needed were picture ID and drivers lisence. I'm pretty sure...they will ask a lot of questions too...were are you going? how long? do you have any fruit or vegetables? etc etc

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Any criminal or DUI history? Handguns need to be shipped, rifles and shotguns are ok to bring thru. Just have picture ID or birth certs for kids and medical records/shot records for pets.

Start doin all yer research now so you dont get any suprises later.

6. BlazerFarm

No, no criminal or DUIs. 2 handguns, 5 rifles, and a shotgun (ah, the gun crazy Americans). I guess I could ship everything to a FFL or a gun store up in Anchorage to hold on to until I arrive. Anyone know a reputable dealer or store up there? I'm not sure how to do the pets though. I can get their shots up to date easily enough but I wonder if it would be easier to fly them up when I come up to find a place to live and board them while I do the move rather than have two cats along on a 3+ day trip in a K5 Blazer.

So, they're flying me up to Anchorage sometime the week of the 23rd for an interview. They're also willing to pay the total relocation costs. I don't want to get my hopes up just in case but it does look pretty good.

If I get the move it'll be my first "cold" state. By that, I mean in the winter. I was born and raised in W. Texas and have lived in Arkansas, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Washington State, and Oregon. The most snow I've ever seen on the ground at one time was 8 inches. I'd have to buy a real coat.

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Its not uncommon to get 8" in one night. How you like motorsports...snowmachines are the ticket up here.

Are you bringin all yer K5's up? I'd give a few of them a good home.

Yer handguns definately hafta be shipped. Ive seen folks lie about it and take them thru the border, but Ive also seen some get caught..not worth the hassle. I know of a few good gun shops. Let me check into them and I'll let you know how they handle FFL stuff. If they are willing to pay 100%, I recommend getting with some kind shipping company that will load up everything on a trailer then hauling it up. It can be a pain in the ass with a family and animals. Do-able, but a pain in the ass.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

when driveing your long guns standered rules aplly, locked triggers and unloaded of course you MUST declare them at the border. you will have to get them out and show officers.

you dont have any exotic pets do you they might give you trouble.
    i dought you will have any problems