Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving to Blacksburg

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by jac6695, Feb 14, 2005.

1. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Ok, so in the next 5 months I will be moving to the Blacksburg area. My wife has accepted a position with Virginia Tech, and will be starting in mid August. I will most likely be moving out sometime in June to start looking for house/property. I would like some information from those that live in the Roanoke/Blacksburg/Christiansburg area.

We are looking for about 10-20 acres of land with or without a house. From what we have seen so far on the internet, land is still reasonable, and we have found some property near Christiansburg that looks promising. We actually think that we would rather buy just land and build a new house on it. If anyone has any recommendations for builders around there to talk to would be great.

Any input as too good/bad areas to look? We will need to stay 15-25 minutes drive from Blacksburg. What do you like/dislike about the area? I already have some knowledge of that area from living in Maryland all of my life and camping/wheeling around there for many years. I am going to miss living out here, but I am looking forward to getting closer to family (tired of paying $300.00+ roundtrip to visit), and back to some good old fashioned humidity.:grin:

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm guess Id be the one to talk to. I only go to school here but I know the area pretty well now. I can talk to some of my friends that are natives. I guess to stay in the 25 minute or so category you could look anywhere from the Pulaski County/Radford areas, Giles county out to the west of town maybe even out as far as Pearisburg, Floyd area might be a little too far although I know people that work at Tech that live there. And of course anywhere in Montgomery county would work.

I live in Christiansburg in a house with 3 other buddies and we love it out here. For such a small area traffic can get pretty bad with the 25k plus students around. Id say its like any suburb, we have Home Depot, Target all that crap that you might not expect for a small town like this...

Fourwheelin is pretty good I suppose, theres a trail we run 10 min from campus although it would be a cake walk for you Id imagine...

Like I said, Ill poke around and ask my native friends about builders and land for sale and stuff...

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Thanks Chris. I know you and Mudfrog are the only people on here from there that I know of, but I'd hoped that this post may bring out some people.

Yeah, not sure that the wheeling around there would excite me much anymore, but I will be close to Tellico again.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The wheeling here will depress you :p:

We have a few decent trails but nothing like what you are used to. Mainly around here we go muddin. If your up for mudding I'm sure you can join our club (see the "Just Muddin" site in my sig).

There are a few trails, Potts Jeep Rd, and one in Moneta that I go to, not much rocks but mainly mud and hill climbs, creeks, etc..

As far as land, there are tons of places up near Blacksburg with land. Shawsville comes to mind as it is semi between Roaonke and Blacksburg (closer to Blacksburg though). Land there is usually cheap, and it would be about a 15-20 min drive to Blacksburg and about 20-25 min to Roanoke.

When you come down to look for land let me know and we'll grab some food or do some wheeling or something. :thumb:

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yup the Shawsville/Elliston area is pretty close, forgot to mention that..

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Shawsville is exactly where a lot of the land for sale that we have see online is located. Seems to be a good location for us due to the fact I will be working mostly around Roanoke, and my wife in Blacksburg.

We will be coming out the weekend of March 11-13. It will be a busy weekend, but maybe we can meet up for lunch or something that Saturday. I will get with you when it gets closer to the date.

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Sounds good, I'll be traveling on the first and third weekend of march but I should be home the second weekend. I think at least.