Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving to mid-Cal...whats for wheeling?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by mouse, Feb 17, 2007.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Uncle Sam will likely be moving me to Vandenberg AFB this summer. It will be our second time to VAFB, but we did not wheel when we lived there last (1999).

Are there any places to wheel around the area?...I know Pismo is close by. Unfortunately my blazer is not built for dunes - low gears, 350, fat and heavy.

I am not up to speed on the smog laws. What can I expect for a 1977 K5 (with original engine) that has been converted to TBI, running dual exhaust (originally did not have cats)?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I live down south so I am not sure on the wheelin areas up there but I think Hollister is not far and too my knowledge that is where they run the TTC. Norcalbigdogs would be a good place to ask also.

As for smog, there is a law that military do not have to transfer their tags to California they can remain in the state that you last had orders or the state of your home of record. If that is the case no smog required.

If you do change your plates you will have to do the full blown visual which the truck will have to have what it came with from the factory i.e any air pumps, cats single or dual exhaust. You will also have to do a sniffer test at 2 RPMs and 80% of the state requires dyno smog test.

Another new thing the state is doing is that anything that is over (it seems like 10 years old) can only go to a test only station. Those guys are not allowed to touch anything on the vehicle. They put it on the dyno hook up the machine and run the test. It passes or fails. If it fails you have to take it to another mechanic or do the work yourself (should not be a problem) and then take it back to have it smogged again.

To remove hassle I would either leave it in your current state or register it in your home of record. I do not have mine registered in FL which is my home of record but I wish I would have. It is kinda hard to get a FL drivers License when I am on the other side of the country:o .

Ira

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The local area that the San Luis area wheelers go to is called "Pozzo". Never been there, no idea what you'll find.
    Hollister is 3.5-ish hours north of Vandenberg.
    The Hammers are 4.25-ish hrs East by South.
    Dusy-Irshim/Shaver Lake are is 5 hrs North by East
    Red Rock State PArk is 5 hrs roughly due East.

BTW, that's the "Mid State" I think it might be a hanging offense to refer to that area as being in So. CA.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply...seems south to me, but I guess your right!

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

To anyone not living in way So. CA the line of demarkation seems to be roughly E-W at the top of Tejon Pass. That puts Santa Barbara *just* barely in So. CA, but Bakersfield & Ridgecrest in the Mid-State.

I'm sure there are some who will disagree with that, but I'm a third gen native Kalifornian (very rare, only met one fourth gen w/o a Spanish surname) & that's how I see it.
    :D

6. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Geographically, Madera is known to be the centermost major city in California. It's roughly 200 miles north from the top of Tejon Pass, so I would say Santa Barbara is WELL into the So Cal area. There's no way I would consider Bakersfield as "Nor Cal".

Here's a good link to different 'wheeling spots all over California:
    http://www.corva.org/where_to_ride.html

7. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Mouse! Welcome to military service in socal! If you are a hunter you will love vandenberg! I dont know the wheeling scene there but hollister is not to far and if you drive out here to death valley area our wheeling is great! Talk to your front gate or wherever they hand out stickers. Some bases here require you to pass a smog even if you dont change your tags to cali. China lake doesn't but Pt. Magu does and thats just south of you. Its a total scam as they make you go to the exchange to get the visual and sniff. Like I said talk to the stickers guys and find out what the deal is. My brother was stationed in sand dawg up until last year and he was "dating" one of the girls at that handed out base stickers, no smog check for him!

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Didn't say that Bakersfield was Nor CA. Said it was Mid-state. I'll venture those in Santa Maria don't consider themselves in So. CA, which puts SB on the north end of So. CA. I know SLO did NOT want to be included in So. CA back when there was talk of splitting the state & I would imagine that SM was the same way.
    If you look at the regional demographics the line is fairly easy to see.

I knew someone would disagree. :D

9. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Eh, when we're talking about a geographical "line in the dirt", demographics doesn't really factor in. Despite what any city wants to be considered, I know the drive from SLO, SM, or Bako to Oregon is quite a bit further than the drive from there to Mexico. Just because they're not breathing the L.A. smog doesn't mean they're not in So Cal. :D

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Well I got an email today, we need to be there in June. Looks like I need the cage installed in the blazer ASAP so it can be driven onto the trailer and ready to move.

I am looking forward to some desert runs!

11. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i think your blazer is old enough that it is smog exempt. i believe 30 years is the rule here, i'm sure someone here can correct me if i'm wrong.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Nope anything from 1976 to present has to have smog performed. 1975 is the cutoff year

Ira

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I do know that 1977 didn't have cats. Hopefully the mild cam and TBI can make it run clean enough to pass. If not, I'll pull the custom chip and try a stock one.

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The TBI will open a small can of worms if Vandenberg forces testing. Always, always, always refer to it as an "Intake Upgrade" when talking to DMV or the BAR referee, or the referee will be wanting to know why the engine doesn't match the intake. By "Intake Upgrade" I mean that you put the TBI system on the existing, Stock Engine, RIGHT? Say yes.
    The difference is that if you did a TBI engine swap then ALL of the emissions related systems that were engine mounted have to be on the engine & functional. So the EGR would need to be functional even if the original engine didn't have it, but if the truck didn't have a charcoal cannister or cat then you would not need to retrofit them.
    With an Intake Upgrade only those systems that the vehicle originally had on the engine need to be there unless the removal of some such system compromises the functioning of the upgrade. So say the original engine did not have EGR, then the upgrade doesn't need to have it either, BUT the loss of the EGR can't cause a trouble code either.

Best will be if you aren't required to pass the test.

The demographics define the "line in the sand", not the other way around. If you look at how each region votes you'll 'see' the line. By saying that Bakersfield isn't in Nor CA (which it isn't) and is in So. CA rather than the Mid State you're moving 'the line' further north than the demographics support. The location of the line I keep referring to was the one of the two roughly proposed split lines when splitting the state was being discussed. The other was somewhere around Tracy, which would put Turlock in So. CA!
    I spent 4.5 years in Nor CA going to CSU, Chico. I wouldn't want the So. CA stigma in my new state either!

15. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

It seems that the emissions will be a challenge. Vandenberg AFB does require testing to get a vehicle registered on base. Since I'm not a Montana resident, I won't be keeping the MT tags.

Fortunately this is the original engine and heads. The intake valves are slightly bigger, and the cam is a mild TBI grind. I'm sure it breathes cleaner than it did new, but I might have to swap in the stock chip to help out.

I ditched the charcoal canister a long time ago.

Do you think I should pick up some of the emission stuff before I leave Montana? The yards will give the stuff away since no one wants it here.

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep I would pic it up there. Also what is your home of record? You can register your vehicle in that state and not need cali plates. Not sure how to go around the base thing. They require a smog here it is kinda hit or miss if they ask for it at Pass and ID

Ira

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Definitely get the smog stuff there if you can't register in your own state. It'll be much harder to find it here and more spendy too. Look up the chassis mounted stuff, and then look up the TBI specific engine mounted stuff and have it all in place & functioning when you go for the smog test.

Thinking about, it's really going to be an issue if you are registered out of state and the military does require a smog test. The reason being that with the TBI upgraded intake for a testing station to test it will require a BAR (Bureau of Auto Repair) sticker stating what the tester should be looking for in equipment. That has the potential to be a Catch-22. Might be easier if you got a DD while you're here and never drive the truck on base.

18. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I was going to get a roll cage built, but if theres no way to get the blazer tagged in Ca (without going back to a carb), I'm not sure that I should pay for the work.

If the blazer is going to be scrutinized to the part number on the intake, etc, etc...it might just turn the whole vehicle into a pile of parts to be donated onto a vehicle of a older vintage that I don't have to worry about smog...

what to do, what to do...

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You are allowed to put injection on a carbed motor here in CA you just have to make sure you put all of the sensors and emissions stuff on the engine also. This includes the charcoal canister and A.I.R. system:o . You would def be better off finding a 75 or earlier to transplant your stuff into.

Ira

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Seems to me that off base parking w/ registration out of state (Parents?) and some DD to get you around is the simplest solution. Unless you plan to stay in CA for a long time.

The deal with an upgrade is that the test guy/gal has to go by what the book or computer says that year/model truck has for emissions equipment. If it does not "match the configuration" then his/her next step is to look for the BAR label which will tell him/her what is supposed to be there.
    Only way to get that label is to register in CA. So if the military does actually make you get it tested you won't be able to do so with out of state registration.

I don't know about the cannister, that's technically a chassis mounted component and may not be required for a pre- OBD II vintage vehicle if it did not have one as originally built.