Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving to tenn.

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by nova, May 8, 2006.

1. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

My home town area is shenandoah valley, virginia but, I've been living in the arizona desert for about 4yrs. now and had enough of it. the 130 degree wheather in arizona sucks. So i'm looking for the mountain again. I'll be moving to the seymour / gatlinburg tenn. area in about 6mo-1yr. Just wondering how the area is out there and is anyone from there. I love boating and off-roading with the 77 blazer. Is there any good wheeling areas out there. Tell the story, love to here it.
    thanks

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

My wife and I just bought a house in Seymour, TN and love it. I work in Gatlinburg and its about a 35-40 minute drive if there are no events going on. We move here from Atlanta, GA....I do not think we will ever live in a 'big' city again.

Let me know if I can be any help.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

You'll love Tellico:D

4. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

tellico- now i have heard about this place and seen some pics of a winter wheeling trip. That looked cool as hell. tellico is at the tellico plains right? If so that is about a 1.5 hr drive, close enough.
    is there a site for this place or any links?

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Lets not forget Uwharrie National Forest to the North East.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No Tellico, or properly "Upper Tellico ORV Area" is in NC, just outside of Murphy. Its managed by the USFS. Tellico Plains is in TN, but clossed to moterized trafic.

Windrock will be close, its a private park owned by Coal Creek Mining and managed by an ATV club. Don't worry plenty of truck trails. http://www.coalcreekohv.com/

Couple Tellico pics:

A buddy's YJ
    [​IMG]

My Jimmy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Tellico is in Murphy, NC

Here's a basic map from crawfords, great place to camp:D
    Clicky

8. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

That's what I'm talking about. Looks cool
    It all seems to be about 1hr- 2.5hrs. away. very cool

9. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

I just hear some disturbing news about the knoxville / oak ridge area. Maybe some one could let me know more of what is really going on out there.

From what i read there was a problem with the mafia stealing 125,000 cars for minor violations, using there tow truck buisness. This is funny, but not cool.Hopefully this was just some wierd site's thoughts and not true or is it?

I hear and read in a local oakridge paper oak ridge,tn is the home of the only operational nuclear bomb facility. This is life in the USA, but i just read where the goverment omits to a leak of 4300 pounds of radio active dust a year infecting a 30 mile radius around the plant,and an exposed 25000 sq. yard area of a radio active scrap yard. The goverment has even omited contaminating/dumping in 1 creek and the tenn. river. From what I read the goverment is starting to do some clean up, but is refusing to do all. They have stated the ground is saturated 10 ft. deep, but will only dig up 2 ft. deep hopefully by 2009. The goverment has acknowledged the thousands of pounds of radio active metal sold to the mafia that was resold to silverware companies and such back in the 90's,but nothing to be done. Then there is the fact of radio active dead mice that was transported to knoxville in normal vehichles to a vet. or something to burn and dispose of. And so on and so on.

what the hell is this i'm reading is there anyone out there that is able to say anything on this?
    The knoxville area is the 5th worst area for air quality in the nation because of this nuclear plant ansd instead of decreasing the pollution it's steadily getting worse while the rest of the contry is getting better. the one article said 10-20 days of deadly air in 1990 and raised to 59 by 1999 and still increasing. eastern tenn. has 1 of the worst acid rain areas in the country. Right by and infecting the smokey mountains. VERY SAD!!
    Is this true? How bad is it really out there? Any locals with real answers?
    Is this why there is no bass fishing tournaments out there except about 4 hrs. away from this area?

10. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Next stage of massive Y-12 cleanup project coming up
    By FRANK MUNGER, munger@knews.com
    June 11, 2006
    OAK RIDGE - The U.S. Department of Energy and environmental regulators have agreed on the next stage of cleanup at the Y-12 nuclear weapons plant - a four-year project that will cost about $45 million, eliminate a radioactive scrap yard and excavate polluted soil from dozens of sites inside the high-security complex.
    The federal government has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on environmental projects at Y-12 over the past 20 years. The early remediation focused on off-site discharges into local creeks and capping or cleaning up waste sites that were fouling the groundwater with chemicals and radioactive materials.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]The primary objective of the next phase - beginning around 2009 - is to reduce contamination within the plant to "protect industrial workers from exposure to hazardous substances," according to the Record of Decision signed in April by officials from the Department of Energy, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation.
    Y-12's legacy of pollution dates back to the World War II Manhattan Project, when the facility enriched uranium for the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan.
    The Oak Ridge plant played a critical role in the Cold War development of thermonuclear weapons - so-called H-bombs - but it also tainted the area with radioactive uranium and released tons of mercury and other toxic chemicals into the environment.
    The new cleanup plan establishes guidelines that should protect future users at the site, Mildred Lopez-Ferre, a project director in DOE's environmental program, said in a telephone interview.
    "We might not be able to get all the contamination that we would like to get removed," Lopez-Ferre said. If not, there will be "institutional controls" - such as fences, warning signs and permit requirements - to keep people away from potential hazards, she said.
    Not everyone is satisfied with the plan.
    "We're really glad that DOE is working toward this and coming to a point where they're going to be cleaning up the soils, which is the source of a lot of contamination that comes down East Fork Poplar Creek," said Susan Gawarecki, executive director of the Local Oversight Committee, which represents local governments on environmental issues.
    However, Gawarecki said the Local Oversight Committee and its citizens advisory panel were disappointed by the level of cleanup being charted. In some areas of the plant, DOE chose not to meet standards for "free release'' on future industrial development and instead limited the depth of soil excavation to 2 feet, instead of 10 feet, she said.
    The Department of Energy, in its report, said Y-12 likely would continue its current defense mission for the "foreseeable future" - thus eliminating the need to plan for unrestricted uses. Gawarecki said that attitude could prove shortsighted, noting that the federal government often changes its mind.
    "While aspects (of the cleanup plan) don't please us," she said, "there is progress being made. We do think it's going to be protective for the designated uses."
    Lopez-Ferre said the new cleanup plan is not the final one for Y-12. A future decision document will deal with the final cleanup of contaminated soil at Y-12 and other issues pertaining to groundwater and surface waters, she said.
    Under the Phase II project for the cleanup, workers will remove about 25,000 cubic yards of radioactive metal from a scrap yard on the west end of the nuclear weapons plant.
    In addition, about 25,000-45,000 cubic yards of dirt contaminated with mercury, PCBs, uranium and other hazardous materials will be excavated from the site, said Elizabeth Phillips, DOE's project manager.
    If the Y-12 materials meet waste-acceptance rules at DOE's nuclear landfill a couple of miles away on Bear Creek Road, they will be sent there for disposal, the report said. Otherwise, the cleanup wastes will be shipped off-site to another facility, it said.
    It's not clear at this point who will be doing the cleanup work.
    Bechtel Jacobs Co. is DOE's environmental manager in Oak Ridge, but the company's current contract expires Sept. 30, 2008.
    Lopez-Ferre said DOE is still studying the options and will put together an "acquisition strategy" over the next couple of years. "We don't know exactly how it's going to be done," she said.
    The cleanup is coinciding with a major modernization program under way at Y-12. DOE's Oak Ridge office is hoping to get additional funds - as much as $1.5 billion over five years - to demolish many of the old nuclear facilities at Y-12 and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
    That money has not yet been budgeted, but Lopez-Ferre said DOE would try to integrate the accelerated demolition work with the soil removal and other cleanup activities.
    Steven Wyatt, a federal spokesman at Y-12, said, "We are excited about getting this cleanup under way and completed in the next few years. Anything that we can do to improve Y-12 and to address issues of contamination soil and scrap from past operations is a plus. This is a positive benefit to our overall long-range modernization effort." Senior writer Frank Munger may be reached at 865-342-6329

11. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

That's one of the news papers I was reading online. Very interesting, and those workers, working in that stuff. The news paper doesn't say anything about the rest of the clean up outside the area, like oakridge and knoxville. Was those areas all ready clened up or something? I find lots of stuff about what's happend and whats contaminated, but nothing about clean up of those areas. It could be just way scared people talking ****. Then again you can't forget why there thnking like that. The air quality has gotten worse and the national park and surrounding areas are seeing some of the the worst acid rain ever in the USA.
    I just think there is some truth out there. It's just how much is left out and how much is dreamed up.
    Then there is the fact once radio active, it stays radio active for 200,000 years.

12. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Move to Greeneville TN it is about halfway between Knoxville and Bristol TN,and an hour from Asheville NC.We are about 2 hours from Coal creek,Royal Blue,Harlan KY,and Brimstone.About three from Tellico.Plenty of fishing in Morristown TN(about 30 miles away)or you can trout fish at Horse creek or Paint creek here in Greene county.

13. bigjbear

They don't call it "Atomic City" for nothing.

14. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

:haha: yeah, I seen that in a older news paper. It sounds like they are trying to clean up the area and starting to pay money out to some of the workers who has gotten cancer from working there. What about the community around the area. The goverment has said not to eat the fish from the creeks and river near there including the tenn. river. This says "problem" in my eyes.

It's just the area i'm worried about. Such a nice area in jobs, communities, history, and scenery. Me and my wife love the area of sevierville to gatlinburg. then finding out just a few miles away there is this. The area hasn't been thrown out, were just looking into it alot more. My wife has doubts about this area now.:confused:

I'm just looking for info.

15. bigjbear

I know the fish thing sound scarry, but if youlook it up many waterways around industrial cities have the same warning. Normally its something like eat only young fish or no bottom feeders. Problems can come from almost any industry, too. The leather industry makes a mess of rivers. Good for you for doing some research, but be carful or you might end up ruling out the whole country.