Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving to washington tow laws?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by chubbybob, Mar 11, 2004.

1. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I posted this in the tow forum but im not sure how many of you NW guys go there.

I am moving back to vancouver wa. from vegas and need to know about the trailer laws there.
    I will be towing my truggy in my 28ft enclosed trailer and need to know if I can haul my jet skis behind that. I know its legal here in nevada but not sure about kalifornia and oregon ? I dont really care about washington because im just crossing the bridge and going to hockinson.
    do any of you have any first hand experiance with this ?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I dont think that is legal in Oregon. I asked about that once and that was the impression I got in the feedback... Hey, have you heard of the Oregon Bush Hackers (OBH)? Might want to check out that group when you get up here. Someone on there may even know the answer to this question too.

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont think that is legal in Oregon. I asked about that once and that was the impression I got in the feedback... Hey, have you heard of the Oregon Bush Hackers (OBH)? Might want to check out that group when you get up here. Someone on there may even know the answer to this question too.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the info. I will go check out theyre board.
    I know I have seen a guy pulling a camp trailer and his fishing boat behind crossing the columbia river on 205

4. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

the OBH site didnt really work for me but I will try again later.

5. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

In oregon it is legal to haul that way in Washington don't even attempt it the State Patrol is really cracking down on everything and you will have to drive right past a State Patrol bldg to get to Hockinson. This towing info comes straight from my husband who used to drive tow truck. They could tow a p/u and travel trailer in Oregon but not in Wa. Hope it helps.

Welcome back /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I live in Hockinson too have to keep an eye out for you and say hi sometime.

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In oregon it is legal to haul that way in Washington don't even attempt it the State Patrol is really cracking down on everything and you will have to drive right past a State Patrol bldg to get to Hockinson. This towing info comes straight from my husband who used to drive tow truck. They could tow a p/u and travel trailer in Oregon but not in Wa. Hope it helps.

Welcome back /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I live in Hockinson too have to keep an eye out for you and say hi sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds great thanks for the reply. if I get pulled over in oregon ill give them your number and let them know you said it was ok /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif just kidding.
    who does your husband work for ? my friend cory owns tlc towing in ridgefield. ya never know you guys might already know me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. JDBlazer454

When towing into Washington be very careful coming up 4th Plain now the State Patrol is using it for training and they pull over everything. On a normal night I see an average of 20 cop cars.

He used to work for Copart hauling insurance salvage and also work for Speeds driving their semi wrecker for a few months. I know Cory from TLC he comes into where I work once in awhile. My husband may know him because he used to tow the wrecks out of their lot once in awhile.

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/guide/dgtoc.htm Maybe some info here... I would think as long as you have the correct equipment and lic. you should be good to go. I have seen a couple of rigs pulling a camp trailer and or a buggy or boat on 8 east out of San Diego, headed to the river or the dez...

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In California you must have a class A license.

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When towing into Washington be very careful coming up 4th Plain now the State Patrol is using it for training and they pull over everything. On a normal night I see an average of 20 cop cars.

He used to work for Copart hauling insurance salvage and also work for Speeds driving their semi wrecker for a few months. I know Cory from TLC he comes into where I work once in awhile. My husband may know him because he used to tow the wrecks out of their lot once in awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we will see ya around this summer.

do all the ck5 people up there ever get together for a meet and greet or anything like that ?

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    do all the ck5 people up there ever get together for a meet and greet or anything like that ?

[/ QUOTE ] Thats been known to happen on occasion... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I just got off the phone with the MAN in olympia and they said it was real hard to understand the actual rule on it but he thinks its illegal. he also said if it was a fifth wheel setup it is considered part of your tow vehicle and could be considered legal depending on the cops knowledge.
    so its a no go in washington but they think its legal in oregon, still waiting for them to call me back.

13. JDBlazer454

Glad to hear you got ahold of someone in Wa about it, good luck getting any response from Ore.

We do a meet and greet once in awhile up here. Last time we did it was alot of fun to finally put faces with names. Now I seem to have gotten to know all of the CK5'ers up here alot better since then, they are a good and funny bunch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you in May, hopefully I'll still be driving the Blazer this summer (we will see due to the gas prices).

14. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Glad to hear you got ahold of someone in Wa about it, good luck getting any response from Ore.

We do a meet and greet once in awhile up here. Last time we did it was alot of fun to finally put faces with names. Now I seem to have gotten to know all of the CK5'ers up here alot better since then, they are a good and funny bunch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you in May, hopefully I'll still be driving the Blazer this summer (we will see due to the gas prices).

[/ QUOTE ]

I did finnaly get a call back from the head cheese in oregon and he said the law was made way before people even had big trailers and fifth wheels behind regular trucks.
    the law was for semis but since it doesnt say anything about regular trucks they cant discriminate.
    he also said that if you get stopped and a cop interprets the law his own way he might write you a ticket. the way he said it made me think he was trying to say no but the laws the law.
    so bassicaly I will take my chances.

15. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

No, you cannot triple tow in Wa, these fawkers here cant drive thier cars alone /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No, you cannot triple tow in Wa, these fawkers here cant drive thier cars alone /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

its double tow and they say you cant but if you read the law it does not say you cant.
    so it all depends on the cops day if its a stater then your screwed no matter how you interpret the law.

if im feeling lucky when I hit the oregon border to vancouver I might just go ahead and drive in I only have to go about 10 miles to where I am dropping everything off.

17. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Id say that if your arriving that way, [darn] em, just a warning you may get no ticket, it came that way right /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif