Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving to Winston-Salem NC in a Week!!!

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by 350350, Nov 13, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Hey Folks!!!

I'll be moving from Virginia to the Winston-Salem, NC, area (actually Lewisville) in about a week for a new job, and was wondering how many of the fine CK5 folks out there are from the Triad Area... I'd love to meet up and try to do some wheeling after the first of the year. I have some work to do on the K5 before it's ready.

I hope this move lasts longer than the Virginia move did!!! I just moved to Virginia in January of 2004 for a job, and the company filed bankruptcy. I have two kids, a Boy 4 years and a Baby Girl 14 months. Three Beagles, all Couch Potatos.

I've actually done some wheeling in the Uwharrie Area before, and know some guys down that way, so I am not completely a newbie to the area. Anyone live in the area???

BTW, my truck is a '77 K5 with a very healthy 350/350/203 combo, 10bolt/12bolt with rear locker, 4" lift (badly done by the previous owner, on the list of things to fix...) and 33" tires. A really nice '77 with some surface rust but very little considering it came from the Rust Belt and it's 27 years old!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are a few up in that area. A few on the coast and then some more toward Tellico. The one off of the coast and one from South Carolina get together and head up to Uwharrie. Think this year though we will be heading to Tellico for something a little more extreme for us. Great to have you heading back to the area and look forward to wheeling with you.

James

3. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I'm from Winston, well actually I live in Midway about 10 miles south of Winston off of Highway 52. One of my good friend's lives in Lewisville. I really don't take my truck wheeling a whole lot, I went to Uwharrie 2 weeks ago. Whatever you do don't go wheeling at the Bussiness Park off of Union Cross Rd. near High Point, I got a trespassing ticket there and 50 hours of Community Service.

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

This is great Guys!!!

I'll give you a little background... I grew up in a farming community, so 4x4 farm trucks were a necessity, and we just played with them for fun on the weekends, and always went on someone's property, so it was always easy to go somewhere legally because out of the group of us at least one or two out of the group owned land we could go to.

I moved away from home to my first job in Wisconsin with my fiance, her in an '84 Camaro that had a 300hp 400 Small Block I had put in it, and me in a '79 Malibu that also had a 300hp+ Small Block that I had put in it. After one Wisconsin Winter, we both bought 4x4's... The Wife got a really nice '89 4.3L TBI/700R4 S10 Blazer, and I bought an '84 4x4 S10 Blazer that had a bad 4 cylinder/5spd in it. I paid $200 for it and sold the 5spd for $300, junked the motor, and put a 240hp 5.0L H.O. TPI Small Block, 700R4, rear locker and it came from the factory with 4.11 gears. With 30x9.50-15 Mud Terrain's, you would be amazed at the places it would go. You could spin all 4 tires as fast as you wanted to spin them, so it did awesome in the mud, and in spite of its lack of articulation, the locker gave it a great advantage over most of the other vehicles I wheeled with.

So anyway, when my Son was born, I went from going wheeling 3-4 times per month to going maybe twice the first YEAR he was born!!! So by the time he was 2 I had sold ALL of my 4x4 parts and equipment, including my TPI S10, and have never really gotten back into wheeling. I bought my K5 more for a spare vehicle and work truck than for the trails, and will probably end up with another S10 with a SFA conversion when I get real serious just because of the size. I Love my K5, and it will go lots of places my S10 couldn't possibly go simply due to the tire size, and it's fun to be able to twist with all the articulation you get with two straight axles... I guess it'll be fun to have both, because I won't sell the K5 regardless of the S10...

So my Son is over 4 years old now and he's a GearHead, and he's ready to go wheeling!!! He's sitting in a booster seat only now, so I think he's ready to get bounced around on the trails. He's never gone with me on a trail ride, so I need to go on just a day trip sometime to initiate him and make sure he likes it without going on radical trails right off the bat, although I think that's what he'll want to do right away.

So that's where I am. Need a short day trip or two with the Boy to get him into it and then... no holds barred!!!

Cheers,
    Paul

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If your moving to the Winston area, then your pretty close to Uwharrie. The Uwharrie mountains offer many trail from beginner which you can take stock trucks on, to hard which require lift and driver experience. Welcome to the triad. Oh, and I am in Greensboro if you need help with anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison