Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving to Wyoming in January, snow tire q's...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jun 19, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Moving to Wyoming in January, snow tire q\'s...

I'm registering tomorrow to go to Wyoming Tech for the Diesel/Auto course (6 month Diesel, 3 month Auto) and management class. Since I'm going to be there January 2004 to January 2005, I'm going to see some snow. I'm going to be buying 35's for this beast before I leave, but I'd like to know what tire you think would be best? I do some occasional wheeling, but nothing too radical. I have open diffs, my custom rear limited slip is clicking my parking brake a little. I'm eyeballing the Pro Comp A/T because of the severe weather rating, but how do other tires compare? Personal experience? Thanks for the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Re: Moving to Wyoming in January, snow tire q\'s...

The A/Ts (BFG, Pro-Comp or the like) are a great tread for snowy / icy roads.

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've had better experiences with the BFG tires than procomp. They seem to wear a little better and provide better traction. You should be fine with either though.
    Mike

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've heard BFG's are great.

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

well, I live in wyoming... if you are serious about good tires then in the winter you ditch your 35's, and get something no wider the 9.5"...

not that expensive, get an old set of rims that look like crap, and put some cheap AT of them. anybody who drives their rig year round does this.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

If you're looking at a second set of tires, look at the Bridgestone Blizzak series of tires. I've got a set of Winter Duellers and they are absolutely amazing on snow and ice. I'm not sure what size they go up to, but you can't compare a dedicated winter tire to any AT or All-season. I don't know that I'll ever be without a set in wintery conditions.

Then you can buy whatever tire you'd like for offroad.

Personal experience ... BFG MTs SUCK on ice .. ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

MT's will suck on ice.. well, until you go and sipe them. THen they are ok. But AT's are better all around, and dedicated winters are the best. THe new winters are awesome, though I dont know how they compare to the old studded ones. Any thoughts?

8. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I have 35x12.5 BFG AT's on my truck back in Idaho they work great in snow and ice. Solowookie is right a skinnier tire will give you a smaller contact patch which works well for slick ice. BFG has some 33x9.5's that work really well. Having a np203 with fulltime 4x4 helps a lot too.

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I am in wyoming And i have been through some pretty bad snow storms Last year i ran my 35x12.5 bigfoot xt's with no problem I think Those tires would do pretty good for you
    THis year i am going to do it with my 38.5x15 ground hawgs but i will prob stud them

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I hear 33" BFG ats are good for ice/snow. If ya really wanna get through the nasty stuff, get them tires and chains for all 4 of em. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My half-worn 33x12.5x15 BFG AT's worked great during the nasty snowstorm we had in Philly in February. We had 30" on the ground at my house, other local areas had 25"-36" reported. Only problem I noticed was that the tires liked to grab the "ruts" in the deep snow and follow them; I think this is a tire-size issue, not a brand-name or tread-pattern issue. This was interesting when the ruts were made by cars & idiot-driven SUV's that slid off the road after pushing it too hard... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I pulled a couple cars off the shoulders; open diffs weren't as much of a factor as I thought they'd be while pulling. Of course a locker or LSD would've made the process faster, but I don't have one yet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

have you been there? my roommate went there to check out the skool and thats why hes here in phoenix at UTI. he says the skool is better but laramie wyoming sucked.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It was mentioned above that a skinnier tire is better in snow. That's very true. A wider tire will actually cause your truck to "plow" around corners and has too big of a footprint to cut through the snow to reach the road surface.

Right now I'm running Bridgestone Dueler ATs and they have got me through some pretty big snowstorms. About a month and a half ago we got 26" of snow in 6 hours and I had no problem getting around town. Two years ago we got 28 inches overnight and I had to use my Blazer for work that day because none of the service vans could get out of the parking lot. During the winter months I've been out to the lake before the snowplow hit the access road and I've never had a problem getting to my fishing spot.

Your best bet is to buy a cheap set of rims and find a decent AT rated tire for the winter. Leave those big MTs off during the winter if you plan on getting around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's an example: /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[​IMG]

14. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

I went to school in Wyo for auto collision/refinishing and trim & upholstery. I thought that it was a very good school.As far tires go I had some type of cheap aqua-tread type tires on my car that work well. The hardest part was watching out for other drivers who had never driven in snow.