Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

moving truck rental companies?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, May 21, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

who is there besides uhaul, ryder, and penske?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

PODS....kinda high for one unit, but you can get 2-20' units delivered from point A to point B. The quote I got for chicago to dallas was $3100 for one, $3500 for two. Kinda tempting since the Uhaul is $2500 plus the tow bar to pull the K5, plus gas, plus it's 16' shorter and I dont know if all my crap will fit. dammit.

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Don't you mean Budget. Ryder is out of business.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Be sure to check on vehicle insurance before you rent the truck. Call your insurance company to see if you're covered by your current policy while driving the rental truck. Most policies will cover a standard 4-wheeled van. However, they usually do not cover any vehicle with dual rear wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif If you don't take the (expensive!) insurance from the rental place and then wreck their truck, you'll be paying off the damages for years... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Kinda tempting since the Uhaul is $2500 plus the tow bar to pull the K5, plus gas,

[/ QUOTE ]
    If the truck is a big block gas powered one, you can expect to get somewhere in the 6-9 MPG range. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Do the math and you might find it's cheaper to have the crates hauled for you.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Ryder, Ryder or Ryder.

UHaul sucks ass. Their truck are really crappy and the service sucks too.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryder, Ryder or Ryder.

UHaul sucks ass. Their truck are really crappy and the service sucks too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    we got budget i hate uhaul also, thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I just reserved a Penske Truck. Their customer service rocks. They have and e-mail team that responds real fast to any questions that you may have and they also keep intouch until your move is through. I just got a packet in the mail from them with a bunch of guides and a how t DVD. Kind of cheesy , but you'd never get any of that from U-Haul.

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Penske is the best. Best prices and nicest trucks. We got a uhaul once to cross over into Canada. Get to the exit before the border and there is no license plate on the truck and it wasn't registered. Called uhaul and they told us to make a license plate out of cardboard. Now that is high quality service.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    PODS....kinda high for one unit, but you can get 2-20' units delivered from point A to point B. The quote I got for chicago to dallas was $3100 for one, $3500 for two. Kinda tempting since the Uhaul is $2500 plus the tow bar to pull the K5, plus gas, plus it's 16' shorter and I dont know if all my crap will fit. dammit.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Wow did you call NorthAmerican Vanlines, United or Mayflower? For the prices you looking at it might be more convenient for one of them to move you and they do all the work!!! Nothing wrong with calling all 3 and then playing them against each other.

NorthAmerican charged me $2100 to move me from Okc to Las Vegas. They did the loading and unloading, I did the packing. 14,000lbs.