Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moving??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Nov 18, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Just about to graduate finally /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I'm interviewing at a couple places, but the first one to request a second interview is in Illinois, 45 min west of Chicago. They're flying me and my wife to Chicago and putting us up for a 3 day weekend. Going to see the plant Thursday, and then have Friday to check out recreation, housing, ect. Sending a limo to pick us up from the airport if you can believe that. I never wanted to live that far north, but it could be an awesome opportunity. It's a Fortune 500 company, and I'd be safety manager in a 70 person plant up there. What questions do I need to ask and what do I need to look at that I'm not thinking of?

Also interviewing all these places
    Fort worth tx
    Tyler tx
    Corpus Christie, tx
    Campbellsville, KY
    Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
    New Castle, In
    Texas City, Tx
    Dallas
    and Arizona.

Any hints? This will be my first real big job. What we really want is to get out and do something different for a while, but move back to the area when we start to have kids in a few years...I assume I dont tell THEM that. I dunno what the heck I wanna know here, just rambling...

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

All I know if make sure you know everything about the health insurance, vacation and personal time, and pay before you accept anything. I took my job because I was desperate and now I have to pay for part of my health insurance, only have 3 vacation days for a year and a half, and get paid much lower than I should and they keep changing my review date. And I work for a large company, Purolator!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My only advice is that the best time to negotiate salary is before you get hired. Never accept the first offer unless it's REAL good, always ask for something at least 25% or so higher than they offer, and about twice the stock options. </font color>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What exactly ARE stock options? I've never worked for a big company...And yes I thought their initial offer was EXTREMELY low, especially for the area.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Stock options are basically stock grants that the company gives you over time. A simple example - you get hired and the company gives you a 4000 share grant at $10 a share. The shares "vest" over a period of time, generally 4 years. Each year a portion of the shares vest and you can then buy them at $10 each, regardless of the market price. At the end of 4 years you have all of the options vested, and you can buy whatever is left for the grant price. If the stock is at $50, then you buy them at $10 and sell them right away and make a 400% return overnight. Of course if the stock is at $5 and your grant price is $10, then they're useless.

Options are cool unless the stock tanks, then they are just garbage. In this market options are a good thing, since the market is so low odds are it's going to be much higher in 5 years than it is now. That is unless you're looking at a company that has high priced stock, like GE or something, in which case the stock is fairly steady so you'll never get as much of a return on them. </font color>

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

what exactly are you gonna graduate in?

jacob

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Industrial safety. One of the few jobs out there that are still hiring hard right now. Lucky me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

damn dude, haven't even graduated yet and already pimpin the corporate bucks, good luck....

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks Shaggy, I'll be sure to bring that up when we reach the negotiation phase! And the company is Legget and Platt.

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Take it from someone who has lived around the country...you want to stay out your way. It's just NICER in the wide-open. Pimp your degree for every penny its worth!!!! Don't get dazzled or side-tracked by a limo-ride or fancy weekend, they are trying to HI-LO you. A few bucks they blow on a limo versus what you take in salary. Definitely check out Arizona!!!! It's a high-dollar town...make them pay to fly you out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks Ed. I know the salary they offered me is low. They said mid to high 30's, and I can get a job around here with a lower cost of living for mid to high 40's. I guess they'll just bring out the offer and then it'll be haggle time?

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Anyone know any really awesome job searches out there? I've been on monster and hotjobs. Any other good ones?

13. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I use careerbuilder.com and flipdog.com. They fill my e-mail with new postings in the engineering, construction technology on a daily basis. Unfortunately, few if any of the postings tend to be in my area, but I always know what's out there.

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Just remember.....

It snows up here! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I used some online jobs catagory page and found out what the 'going rate' for jobs were. I was pretty desperate about getting a job too and took the first one that came along. everything sounded good so I hired on. The health care benifits suck (copays are high and was supposed to be paid, two weeks after hire on they changed to $30 a month premium), vacation time is a joke for 1st couple years, pay is below wage average for area/industry (printing), lots of corporate changes went through and screwed more stuff up (do some background checks on the company), talk to the employees if you can (find out what bars they hangout at and talk to them), ask about raises and bonuses (come to find out some people have worked at my company for 2 years with no review and no raises in two years). There use to be a production bonus but they cut that and the holiday bonuses changed to less days std pay (I work thrids so I dont get my shift bonus for holiday, sick pay, overtime, or anything other than std 40hr). Dont gloss over stuff because they tell you whats in it, ask questions (if you sit down with a HR person ask alot of questions and write the answers down and the names of anyone yout alk too. Good luck, have fun, be yourself,
    I'm not to far from New Castle, it snows there too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, career builder and flipdog are good sites. I look there pretty frequently, but all the jobs seem to be in Raleigh, where I don't want to go back to. I'm tired of that town.

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, for what it's worth. I just turned down a job in Mundeliene. The limo, long weekend, razzle dazzle is standard corp. BS. They are trying to make you feel special, like they care. They do that for everybody. Once they feel like they've got you, the limos stop and the dazzle goes to drizzle. But you are in a unique position. No kids, no major ties or commitments to the area (except family of course). Here are some questions to ask them;

1. What is the company philosophy as it pertains to;
    a. employee growth and advancement?
    b. business and development?
    c. safety programs...development and implementation?

2. Do they promote mainly from within, or do they look outside first? (if they look outside first, run like HELL!)
    3. What kind of manager will I have? Who will I be reporting to?
    4. What will be my level of leeway in making decisions that affect my department and the business as a whole?

Then they are going to ask you questions. Especially since you are fresh out of college. Questions like...

1. What kind of manager do you think you'll be?
    2. What are your goals and dreams?
    3. Where do you see yourself in 3 yrs? 5 yrs? 10 yrs?
    4. What are you needs, desires, and wants as they pertain to the position? personal life?
    5. What is your level of experience in design, implementation, and inception of safety protocols and procedures?
    6. How comfortable are you in a leadership role?
    7. What qualities do you have that will make you a good leader/manager?
    8. Why should we hire you?

These are just a few off the top of my head. But it's a start. AFA $$ goes, NEVER accept the first offer even if it is a sweet deal. You'll look way too eager and ready to jump at anything. Always tell them "thank you for the offer, I repspectfully request a day to think it over". If they pressure you, run and don't look back. Let them get the idea that you have time and other options to explore. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Also, whatever you think you'll need for $$, TRIPLE it to live anywhere within Chicago. Do A LOT of research and DON'T take their word for anything when it comes to cost of living and quality of life. The quality of both can be very good out there if you make the $$ for it. Make sure you don't make a move for a job that makes you hate life and your wife resent you for a bad decision that affects her and her happiness. Lots o' poop to think about. Good luck!

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ouch, I guess I ought to get over feeling indebted to them since they're laying out all this jack for me and the wife this weekend. I probably already look like a sitting duck to them from the things I've said. That will change this weekend.

And I'm hoping they give me a week or so to think about it. I have an interview with Waste Corps in Fort Worth next Tuesday and that looks very promising as well with an awesome reputation. There is a student that graduated and went to work with Leggett at a different plant last year. Maybe I'll give him a call. Don't know that he'd tell me the truth, but we can always see.

Thank you for all the advice. I'll begin formulating my questions on paper lest I forget any.

18. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

where did you get that link you sent via yahoo?

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm learning something new everyday! This is good sh!t. I'm saving this post as a fave for future use. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif