Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MP3 head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Eagle, Mar 10, 2000.

1. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

Being that I am a techno weenie I love to listen to music on my computer. The latest craze in the music world is MP3. It actually isn’t that new but that’s another story. My question is... Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a head unit that will read and play MP3 files? I have searched high and low and found nothing. Wouldn’t it be great to have one CD in your truck that holds 150 of your favorite songs. That’s about 10 hours of listening pleasure.

There is a VERY fine line between hobby and mental illness

2. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I'm curious about that too. Last I heard they were battling out the standards for those.

I can picture it now - you pull into your garage, plug a cat5 patch cable to a jack in between your grill, and log into your home PC. Then you pop open a browser from your head-unit and download 30 - 40 hours of music to listen to that week or 2. ...pretty soon I imagine...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about a head unit that will play Mp3's, but I have heard of a personal listening device that will save and play them over headphones. You could probably hook it up to your truck stereo just like a personal cd player. It may be the only way to listen to Mp3's in your truck for a while.

4. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

Rockford Fosgate makes something like what you are looking for. its more like a cd changer but it holds memory cards or something, not to sure. but its not CDs. not sure on a price, or availability, try their site, maybe it'll tell you.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

5. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

I currenly download MP3's off of the internet and copy them onto cd's. You can only put 75 minutes onto the cd and you have to have a recordable drive to copy the cd. I have quit a few mp3 cd's and you can listen to them through any cd player. It is pretty easy to download mp3's and make cd's after you catch on to it. the recordable cd's are about $1 each and a rewritable cd is about $2 each. The difference between the two is that you can only record on a recordable cd one time and on a rewritable cd you can erase the cd and use it over. I think for up to 1000 times If anyone needs any help or info just let me know and I will glady help.

6. NeXuS1

NeXuS1 Registered Member

There is a couple ways to do this. first being a true head unit, the Clarion AutoPC i believe you can get some third party software for to allow mp3 playing off a cdr cd.. second is something like my current project. I have a Pioneer 6000, i went with pioneer because they offer an aux adapter that goes into the ip-bus (cd changer) so what i have is a machine used in the medical feild, its simply a very small computer. with a 10.4 inch screen (for very cool winamp vis to impress ppl) it measures about 14x8x2 (inches) so i mount that into my truck somewhere comfortable for me, liveable for anyone else. and i just plug in the adapter run a mini plug from the speaker out on the computer to the adapter, put the deck on AUX (whiched i have renamed to MP3 SYSTEM) and theres the answer for me anyways. when it times to change music since i dont have a cdrom for the computer yet i have a huge cat5 cable running from my hub (which has me connect to the dsl) and download some.
    sorry if thats long, but i wanted to try and explain it the best i coukd. maybe it'll give someone else an idea.

We are Blind to the worlds within us, waiting to be born.

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I love my setup:

4 speakers + 10"sub
    300w amp
    Portable minidisc Sharp MD-MS702 (not a head unit)
    I hook the MD to the amp using standard 1/8" to RCA cable.
    The amp is hidden under the driver's seat.
    http://www.sharpelectronics.com/main.asp?sect=16&pageid=ABBA

I find these advantages (in no particular order):
    1) I record at home the MDs with whatever I want and then be able to change them and re-organize them.
    2) I get to see the names of all the songs and the disc.
    3) The portable has a wired remote which I find much more confortable than a head unit. I don't have to take off the eyes from the road to adjust controls.
    4) There's no head unit in the dash, just a hole, so thieves think someone got there before they did. (Thinking of putting the original AC Delco in there for a classic look)
    5) Newer MD players (At least Sharp does) allow you to plug them to your PC/MAC and directly download your favorite songs. (I got mine too soon)
    6) A portable MD unit costs around $250, while a MD head unit is around $400
    7) Cheaper in the long run to buy a few blank MDs than eternally buying new blank CDs.
    8) No skipping (This you gotta love)
    9) Everyone is amazed when you show them the Minidiscs (if they only knew CDs)
    10) Center console between front two seats of a Blazer is perfect for carrying the MD.
    11) Take the MD with you and keep listening to that great song until your boss starts yelling at you

Only cons I find (lets be fair):
    1) No radio (I hate radio anyway)
    2) No flashy screens on the dash to impress your girl
    3) No chance of multidisc changer
    4) Sometimes it's uncomfortable to be carrying the MD around, even with it's carrying bag. Anyway, so is a head unit's face, or even worse, those complete pull-out units that resemble a suitcase.
    5) You could have a $60 discman instead of the $270 minidisc, and use a CDRW at home and get the same results. Only discman is larger to carry, and skips (in a 4x4, yes, even with lots of non-skip memory)

If you come up with more pros/cons of this setup, let me hear them.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Actually, Grab the latest copy of"Maximium PC"pink cover. In it they show you how to build and inexpensive small computer so you can download your MP3's to and run it through your system you have now. They even tell you wher to get all the parts and show you how to build it.

9. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

check out the crutchfield catalog, they are probably on line too. I remember AIWA has a deck for about $300 that will play mp3s off of a cd.

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, I think Aiwa is one of them. BUT, we get a lot of Aiwa units back for service at the stereo shop I work at, so be careful. They kinda suck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

there are currently 2 head units that I know of that will decode mp3 files from a burned CD. It allows around 10 hours of music to fit on 1 CD.

Aiwa CDC-MP3 - $350.00

Kenwood eXcelon Z919 - $750.00

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

In one of my computer mags I have an article on building a small PC that fits under your seat. It has a LCD display and all. It's made specifically for listening to MP3's and when you want new songs you just connect that PC with the one in your house and upload them. If interested let me know and I'll try to find the article on the net.

89 K5 Silverado

13. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You can download mp3's to Mini Disc and put them in your car...may not be what your talking about but thats what I plan to do.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

14. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE MP3 PLAYER, THEN CHECK OUT EMPEG'S UNIT. THEIR PRICIE, BUT THEY LOOK LIKE THEY'D BE AWSOME! I THINK THE WEB SITE IS EMPEG.COM. KENWOOD ALSO HAS A NEW DECK OUT THAT CAN PLAY MP3'S ON A CD FOR AROUND 650.00. YOU CAN FIND IT IN CRUTCHFIELD'S NEW CATALOG. IF YOU GET EITHER OF THEM LET US KNOW HOW THEY WORK OUT!

15. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

There was a guy in my car audio review mag that made his own...he made a cord to connect to a unit under his seat and presto he had 2100 songs...he said it would hold 5000+++

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

16. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I found this a while back Carplayer.com There are car MP3 players you can buy or you can buy plans to build your own.
    Just my $.02.

Dawson

17. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Check out http://crutchfield.com. They have 'em but They look kinda pricey. I'd say go with a CD burner from HP for arond $200 and you can produce the same result... hours and hours of custom music without having to change your deck. In my opinion that's the most convenient way to go. You can get recordable CD's for like .50 cents now!!

BLAZE IT UP!!!