Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mp3 players

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 1HIHUM, Oct 11, 2000.

1. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Anyone out there have, or know someone who is using an mp3 player in their car or truck? Thinking of making the upgrade, since I have a ton of music on my hard drive, and my cd changer is well beyond it's youth! Just curious if they are all their cracked up to be.

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

A couple of months ago, I read a review (more like a sales pitch) on 2 in dash MP3 players. I don't remember the brand names but they are new and more manufacturers should be coming out with their versions, probably by Christmas. They are expensive but the prices should drop as more competition surfaces. Also, watch for indash head units to be able to play CD-RW's I have a small bookshelf Aiwa system that can play CD-RW's. It's very new and the only one I ever saw, I bought. That was 2 months ago.
    I have MP3's downloaded in my notebook computer and am thinking of setting it up to play thru my Blazer's stereo system. If I put a input selector between my indash head unit and the amps, I can output the audio from my notebook thru the input selector and directly to the amps, and use the volume control on the notebook. This works on my home stereo so it should work in my Blazer. O-B-Wan-DBlazer, do you see any reason this won't work? The impedence isn't a match, but is negligible in the home system test. If it works, then the next move is to upgrade the notebook with a DVD/CDRom.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

3. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

um.....I thought all cd players can read Cd-rw's....

Waiting for the surgeon general to ban K5's and Jimmys for being too addictive

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Kenwood, Sony, Rockford are all getting into the mp3 market, These are all going to b first generation products that I would be skeptical about buying at first.
    Also,not all cd players will read cdr's. Most new ones will but not all.
    and last if you are going to be hooking up your computer to your stereo, the easiest way to do this will be to add an EQ that has an A/B input selection. For example, Eclpise,Rockford,Clarion, Coustic. All of this have an auxilery input so you can chage sources. I use them when adding Video into a vehicle and they want to be able to here it without using an FM Modulater. The reason I suggest using an Eq as opposed to just inputing the computer into your amp is beacuse the EQ is going to have a much higher output level then the computer and you will be able to adjust the volume with the volume knob on the EQ. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the great tips, DBLAZER. I design & install Home Theatre Systems, but when it comes to Car Audio I am totally ignorant as to what's available out there. I'm slowly learning more when I get the time because I'm planning an upgrade to my own Blazer's system. As far as your comment about first generation products I couldn't agree more. I refuse to put any client into any product that doesn't have a proven track record. Many companies will rush a new product to market to make a trade show deadline, the Christmas season, etc. without properly testing and de-bugging it.
    Is it Rockford that has put out a MP3 multi-disk changer? I like that idea since it can be combined with any head unit. Thanks for the heads up on the built in input selectors in some equilizers...that's exactly what I need. I was thinking about using an EQ so I could adjust base-mids-highs, but you are right about the need to boost the computers output and the additional volume control is also a plus.
    From what I am seeing in the car audio magazines, the systems you are installing are getting more and more complex, and with Video, surround sound will surely follow. With your experience, you could do very well ($$$) in the Home Theatre Market. If you want more info about that, let me know.
    82Jimmy...DBLAZER is correct, that not all CD players will play CD-RW's. In fact I know someone who has an early car CD player that won't even play CD-R's burned from his computer.
    1HIHUM...I forgot to mention the coolest part about MP3 players in the car. One CD-R burned with MP3's will hold TEN hours of music. That got my attention.

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys! I am aware of some of the new cd-r/mp3 players available from mainstream audio manufactures, but I'm more interested in "hard drive storage" types. I know of at least one maker which is already making it's second generation units, but the cheapest unit costs over $1100. And their top end unit ( which by the way, holds over 600 hours of music) goes for just under $2000. Talk about champagne tast on a beer budget! Any way, I was just wondering if anyone knows of something similar, but cheaper... way cheaper!! Any input is apreciated again! Thanks By the way, that player can be found at www.empeg.com if anyone is interested.

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the Empeg website info. I checked it out and I think their approach is headed in an interesting direction, especially with the unit being upgradable to future formats (MP3 could go the way of the Sony Beta in a few years). I agree with you though, it costs way too much for what you get. 100 hours of music for $1,199 and it must be downloaded from a computer with a USB connection. I'd might be interested if the price dropped to around $250-$350 range (and my notebook has a USB connection), but by the time that happens, something better may be available. I'd love to know how many units they have sold at the current prices. Let us know if you find any other similar products.

8. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

RF makes a mp3 changer so to speak like a cd changer but stores mp3s on media cards that you put in like a cd changer.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

9. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

I can get you a AIWA mp3 car cd player brand new for around $350

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm building a mini PC to mount in the blazer. It will have a 20GB HDD (holds a heck of a lot of MP3's, and I will have a zip drive that I can use to upload everything. I will be able to select a song by a LCD screen, kinda like the cd changers you can add with the little LCD remote. I got the plans for it from MaximumPC. It will take me a while to get all the parts but it will be worth it.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

11. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

How much is that going to cost you?

12. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Anywhere I can see the plans online?

Dawson
    88 K5

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I haven't really figured out the cost yet, been doing one peice at a time. But it's gonna be fairly expensive... I saw the plans in a magazine but I'll look for them online.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

14. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

15. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

The Rockford unit will only hold a very limited amount of music. And I hear that those flash cards are expensive. The hard drive deals can store more music than you'll be able to listen to driving across the country! Just imagine your whole music collection stored conveniently in your rig. Mud, I would love to see those plans! Could you scan them and post them? What issue was the article in? Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

[​IMG]

16. undertow

undertow Registered Member

you folks should just fab a mount for a Handspring Visor. It has GPS, modem, MP3, digital Camera (am more) attchments, you can IRa sync with any computer (line of sight) up to 150 feet, and might even make your coffee in the morning if you ask nicely. (OK, the coffee thig is streching it).

.undertow.

17. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but how much music will it hold? I'm looking to store around 2000+ songs if possible. I'd have to turn that hand spring into a body spring to do that.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I do doubt you will get a regular hard drive to last very long in a Blazer, all that bouncing wouldnt be very good, probably be best to get a solid state hard drive from quantum.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

19. undertow

undertow Registered Member

Currently, storage is the only limitation. I know the handsrping ships with a wopping 8 megs (5 mp3, tops!) and I don't know if the MP3 attachment adds anything substancial to that number. Buts its intended for interfacing with a computer. If you own a laptop, then its ideal. You can auto-sream a playlist to it via the IRa port, and be limited to the HD capacity on the laptop. MP3 technology is very imature right now. And with DVD burners out ($450, 4.5 gig which is probably around 300 - 500 tracks) they may become obsolite (solid state/RAM based mp3 players) when those burners are able to burn 15+ gigs. I say wait, technology keeps getting better and cheaper.

.undertow.

20. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

my current cd player in my k5 is only a cd player and not a tape player and i think i am gettin a mp3 player for xmas and i was wondering if i bought one of those things where they are wireless and jsut put tjhe frequency on the radio.
    are those worth it? does it work?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter