Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MPG on a 80's toyota 22r or 22re

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

MPG on a 80\'s toyota 22r or 22re

like the title says, whats the mile per gallon for the toyota 22R or 22RE engine?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Re: MPG on a 80\'s toyota 22r or 22re

In my 83 Longbed 4x4, mileage averaged from 17 all the way to 26mpg. It all depended on how agressive i drove for that tank. Also would depend on how much wheeling i did during that tank.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

87 Toy longbed 2WD 22R I average 22 mpg, combo of city and highway 50-50.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah! I like those numbers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i think im getting better than that in my 87 22RE xtracab yoyo pickup

and i beat the snot out of it, load it down overloaded, work the hell out of it, starting to have rear brake issues and noises, im gonna run it til its dead, its got 127k on it, it may survive through winter, maybe

22r are noisy by design, timing chains can go out in early 100k mileage, im sure mines original but im not feeling like tearing down engine to get at it, ts too involved for me these days, ive had enough of wrenching, ten years was too much for me i got carried away too often, just am burnt out and jaded dont want much to do with wrenching and stuff anymore,
    retired

keep oil; and filters and timing chain good and itll run forever i hear, but thats true with any engine, pretyt much, unless is flawed, or driven too hard

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You can blame consumers for the timing chains going bad. The earlier OHC toyota motors all used steel chain guides, which made for incredibly noisy motors. After enough complaints, Toyota changed to a plastic guide. When the guide wears down, then the chain will either jump, or wear a whole through the water pump, and mix antifreeze and oil.

I replaced my plastic guides with metal ones at 120K. The chain was fine. Still measured factory spec. Not even stretched. Replace the guides with the steel ones and you should be good for over 250K before you need to check it.

I beat the piss out of my old truck, she frequently saw the end of the tach(2 grand past redline), and that motor always ran strong. Never burned any oil, didnt leak a drop, and most importantly, never put a rod through the side of the pan.

8. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I replaced my plastic guides with metal ones at 120K. Replace the guides with the steel ones and you should be good for over 250K before you need to check it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How involved is this to do? I may be picking up an 88 yota in the next few days with 122k miles on the clock. Thanks,

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

To do it right is a little involved, you need to pull the head and oil pan. With just a haynes manual and bassic wrenches, i did it in 3 days. I didnt have a clue what i was doing either. Now that i have done them, i could confidently say i could do it in 1 saturday.

There are a lot of shortcuts you can take, but there are only certain ones i recomend. Total cost including all new gaskets is arround $150-175. You could get by with just a head gasket and a few other mics. ones which will cut costs , but i just went ahead and bought the whole engine kit.

If you have any questions, just ask.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Toyota changed to a plastic guide. When the guide wears down, then the chain will either jump, or wear a whole through the water pump, and mix antifreeze and oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exact same thing happened with mine just 2 months ago. Wish I knew about replacing with steel guide - I wouldn't have minded the noise at all.

Only other prob I see with these trucks is brakes. Stock stuff always seems to be messed up. When I replaced everything with aftermarket, it's been fine since.

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

For the brakes, that can be upgraded with calipers from a 1982-83 longbed 4x4 that had the heavy duty package. Had larger than normal 4 piston calipers that slide right over the IFS vented rotors you can find in a junkyard. $125 each straight from toyota, so they are pricey. I did this on mine and it was almost to much. I really had to watch it in the rain /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif