Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MPG With Bigger Cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddin_Mavric, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I Have a 83 K5 With 33s and right now it has the stock 305 in it and i want to swap in a 350 (probably a used one) and i would like differnt heads maybe the vortecs but im not sure. I will get a aluminum intake, headers and dual exhoust. I was planing on keeping the stock carb but just getting it rebuilt/tweeked. and i was just wondering how much my gas millage will be afected (well when i drive like a normal person /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Right now i get about 11.

this is my daily drive that i use off raod a little so i would like to keep the in town millage no less than 10 MPG.

The cams i was looking at are the comp cams extreme 4X4. But im not sure wich one to get.

[​IMG]

I was kinda leaning tward the second one down but im just not sure how much that will afect my gas millage compared with a stock 350.

thanks for any help you can give me

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

With a few bolt ons to a 350, then I would go with the X4250H grind. I would think mileage may pick up a bit, if you can keep your foot away from the accelerator with the new balls /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Muddin_Mavric

anyone know how much worse the MPG would be with the X4254H over the X4250H would it even be noticeable.

Im just afraid ill get the thing in there and ill end up being disapointed and wish i had gone bigger.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That depends on what you expect the motor to do. If you like to play and wind it up from time to time, then go with the bigger one you mentioned.

For all around driveability and throttle response, I would choose the smaller of the two.

Having been to Comp Cams website, fill out their recommendation form, and in a few days see what they reccomend.

Resist the temptation to lie on that form, trying to trick them into giving you the cam you think will be correct.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Having been to Comp Cams website, fill out their recommendation form, and in a few days see what they recommend.

Resist the temptation to lie on that form, trying to trick them into giving you the cam you think will be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Advice!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Muddin_Mavric

if the MPG wouldnt be that much worse i think i would rather have the second one but i will fill that thing out hopfully tomarow.

thanks for all the advice so far