Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I finally sold all my Jeep's & moved up to the ranking of a Blazer owner. I picked up a 86 K5. With a cracked head . I went to the local Chevy dealer and picked up a 85 crate motor and switched the flywheel. I only have about 500 miles on it and am averaging around 11.8 MPG. Is that about the best I am going to get out of it. I am running 31in. tires & 3.08 gears with the 700 overdrive tranny.. Thanks

Gokartergo

2. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

That's a little better than what I'm getting, so welcome to the club.

Mich89k5

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats about right. I get from 9-11 on mine with FI.

90K5

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I get about 8-9 so 11 isnt bad. Are you still running the stock Q-jet? I went to an Edlebrock 650 two years ago and I got a few more MPG but it went back down when I did the motor last year and then more again when I did the axles and taller tires. The closer to stock it is, the better MPG it will get. Also, fuel injection and overdrive will help. Theres a guy here called 72blazer, he has a TPI 350/NV4500 and he claims 25 MPG [​IMG] !!!! my comuter car doesnt get that much!!!</font color=blue>

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes everything is still stock.. I had to to keep the 3 yr 50,000 mile warranty.... I do like this blazer a lot more them my Jeep

Gokartergo

6. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I get 8.2 mpg out of mine, in town or on the hiway. But 4.56's w/ 33's turn some hi rev's about 2900 rpm @ 65 mph. 350/350/208 w/ carb. Later.
    An o/d will help some.

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

11.8 isn't too bad. If you replace your stock air filter element with a K&N air filter element, you will get a small mileage increase. I got a .9 increase (plus a smoother running engine) after installing a K&N in my K5. They cost around $40.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

8 to 10 is my range towing a trailer or not. Sometimes it feels like "FEET PER MILE" though. I changed gears and kept it about stock on the conversion. Next I might go to a fuel injection or throddle body. the carb is on it now.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"