Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mpi Vs Tbi?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I am running the standard GM TBI set up right now. I came across what I think is a good deal on a Edelbrock MPI set up.(ie: manifold, throttle body, injectors, ect). Is it worth me spending the money to swap over to MPFI to gain a little more HP and TQ? Not soley for that purpose alone but isn't MPFI
    more forgiving as far as a Cam swap goes or anything of that nature? This is way out of my league so any help would be apperciative. Thanks

2. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

another question concerning MPI vs. TBI

Have also considered the MPI & TBI by Elde Pro-flo/Holley Commader 950. Currently restoring my 73'. Would it be difficult, requiring special technical skills to put in a newer engine that has MPI? I would like to put in a factory motor w/ computer from a wrecked vehicle in my blazer but know if it is too much a pain or with the hassle then using aftermarket system?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, my truck came from the factory w/ a 350 w/ tbi. I bought a tbi 454 burban, swapped everything over to my truck, and bored & stroked the motor to 496. I bought the edelbrock mpfi-tbi conversion kit (reuses the stock 454 tbi unit as an air housing), and I can say I am getting 10mpg. With my old 350tbi I only got 8. I would definately say the mpfi is more efficient, if my 496 was still a 454 w/ a small cam and I didnt drive it like I stole it, I could get 12 or 13. My mileage doesnt change much between interstate and city, I guess aero sucks on my truck (go figure).

All in all, I say go for it. If its the edelbrock stand alone unit that comes w/ a new wiring harness(not like mine that reuses stock stuff), you could recoupe some of your costs by taking out the stock tbi wiring harness, computer, tbi unit, and sell that on here.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

MPFI is worth it to me. If you are happy with your motor and it does everything you need then I would stay TBI. If you ever plan on more power, need more power, then I would swap.

I LOVE my TPI system and wouldn't trade it for a carb or TBI. My truck makes more power, gets better mileage, starts easier, and runs smoother then it ever did with a carb. It will also run at any angle which is good when you four wheel.

If you need a little more out of this motor then go MPFI. If you are going to have more then stockish power in your next motor then go MPFI.
    Harley

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

TPI or MPFI all the way.
    I agree with Harley, I never trade my TPI setup for a carb or TBI. I drive my truck every day.. for about 5 years with a couple different carbs- a couple edelbrocks, and then a couple holleys.. IMO, when i swapped to TPI 7 months ago, it was worth every dollar. :thumb:
    I picked up a couple MPG, the throttle response is awsome, and I picked up some TQ and HP.. with my friends car as a baseline, he'd pull me 4 or 5 car lengths on the expressway when i was carburated, now with injection my k/5 is pretty even with him.. "Whoa dude yer big a$$ truck is pretty quick!" :rotfl: :thumb:
    This thing runs perfect at any angle now.. i'm noticing oil pressure dropping instead of my truck stalling out on steep angles..
    MPFI was one of the best things i've done to my truck.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

TPI DEFINETLY!

Yeah noone will race me at school, there SCARED!! HAHAHA

My truck did wheelies and got loose with the carb, now it does it just SOO much easier!