Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MPI with External fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joshinator, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

I was wondering if someone could so kindly take the guess work out of me finding the right fuel pump for my 1996 MPI 350. :confused: Im goin to a fuel cell and i need to run an external fuel pump. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Josh

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running a Walbro external fuel pump with my TPI setup. TPI needs around 40 PSI to operate. The Walbro pump I run is supposedly capable of 160 PSI or something silly like that.

Figure out the max flow (in pounds) of fuel that your motor can use and then find the Walbro pump that can supply it. Remember though that the higher the PSI the lower the actual amount of fuel the pump is going to pump.

If your motor needs 60 PSI you won't get the same flow rating as a motor that needs 20 PSI. It will pump alot more gas at 20PSI then 60 PSI. You need to find the flow table for the pump you are looking at.

Do a search for Walbro on the net and you will find info about there pumps. They are not cheap but are supposed to work well. There is alot of info on Camaro sites and Mustang sites about them.

They are not really cheap either. Mine cost me $160.

Harley

3. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

Thanks for the Info Hoss. Greatly appreciated!