Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Dec 16, 2000
    Mr. Toad\'s Wild Ride!

Years of salt and abuse rendered my tailgate and bed literally unuseable on my '82. Not mention all of the rot in in other spots. So I made a $1,500 investment in parts and parked the Blazer for some much needed work in May 2001. I soon realized I was in over my head and had much more work to do and my summer vacation ended. I was now left was a TOTALLY gutted Blazer, minus a driver's quarter panel.

I guess luck was on my side and I found someone to finish my little project. I did a bunch of motor work for a guy who does paint work at his place in exchange for painting the Blazer and hanging my quarter panel. So, I had to figure out a way to gut a completely gutted, half-primered shell of a Blazer to his place. Well, the Blazer still retained the ability to go, stop, and turn. So, I figured I'd drive it.

I knew I didn't have much gas left and it was already 14 months old. I go dump some in, and it starts to pour on my shoes. I forogt to find a replacement for the section of rubber hose that was bad on mine. I finally pull out on Highway 20 with what was at one time a Blazer. I'm sitting on a 5-gallon bucket with my head touching the ceiling and no windshield. All of my doors are bungee corded shut and my instrumentation consisted of a masking tape and paper. Along the way, I was getting smacked with bugs in my face and cars whizzing by. I finally get there and my hair is standing straight up.

All and all, I'd say the trip is well worth the outcome. I'm just glad it ran like a champ, and the police didn't spot me.
  2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

Jan 31, 2001

no risk to great on the quest for blazer perfection