Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MS Office upgrade ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Dec 4, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've got MS Word 2002; got it from Dell from when I bought my laptop, on a disc marked "Microsoft Works Suite 2002. Word is all I want from that disc; all the other stuff on it I don't need.
    But I do need Excel and Powerpoint...
    Sooo, is it worth the $$ to upgrade to MS Office Standard 2003 Student & Teacher Edition? I'm still in school right now so I'm eligible, and it's only $133 at Newegg, as opposed to the Standard retail edition at $341. I also plan on building a new desktop box next year, so I'll have another box I'll need to install it on (MS's site says I can do that).

Opinions?

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I read a while back, it's better, but not worth buying on it's own. Do a bit of research, I bet a newer version is due out soon. And, a new version of Windows is due out soon for sure.

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

office 12 (follow up to 2003) is in beta at the moment. Its .. ehhhh ... ok.

Office 2k3 has been a good version for quite a while, and for 133 (assuming you dont have means of getting this software ... to a hem .."try out") for STE is ok.

keep in mind STE only gives you outlook, word, powerpoint and excel. If you want publisher you need to stup up to small business edition

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I agree that you should find someone to borrow their copy ( ;) so long as it is not installed on their computer, because the license clearly says you can't install it on more then one ;) ).

Otherwise if you can find a copy of Office XP cheap, that will do well. Office 2003 (at least in it's original un-updated form) isn't any different then Office XP, they just migrated all the code over to a new programming language (.NET) so that future versions can be more bad ass. Oh, and they added a new skin to make you think it was NEW. So you may be able to dig up Office XP cheaper.

Have you tried OpenOffice, it's a FREE MS Office alternative, open source. It's getting very good now. http://www.openoffice.org I know what it's like to be in college and completely broke :doah: , I graduate in 3 weeks.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

OpenOffice

Free Software, has a complete 'office' suite, and it's compatable with MS formats.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want Excel and Powerpoint, I have a student & teacher disc that's good for two more installations if you can't find anyone locally.