Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD 6 OFF ROAD IGNITION???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, May 2, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Is anyone running the new MSD 6 offroad ignition on a tbi motor. The reason I am asking is because my motor is pretty much stock and I was wondering if I should maybe run Holley's aftermarket tbi with the msd I don't know if it would hurt the motor just running msd any help would be appreciated. thanks!!

90 K5 350tbi 6in superlift 35" ssr's 4.10's locked in the rear!!

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

You will notice a slight difference in horsepower, but for the most part, it will just run better cause it provides a better spark that fires more. It is a good place to start. Good luck

NITRO

3. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

hossbaby50 has one and likes it. maybe he will reply to this thread. I called MSD's tech support about it and they said it is the same inside as the MSD 6A but the off road has everything encapsulated in a waterproof/vibration proof box. I am going to get the MSD6T. It is the same as the 6A but has the vibration absorbing mounts. Before the OFF ROAD the 6T was the off road racing and circle track box so it will be fine for me. I will save money too.

4. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

If you run a MSD please do not run a blaster 2, run a blaster SS instead. You will get twice the amps out of the SS, 300mA vise 158mA. You can pay the same price for a Crane Hi-6 and LX92 coil and get 510mA. That's what I did.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I have the MSD 6 box, and like it alot. It helped my 350 out alot. It runs stronger, has MUCH better throttle response, better mpg, starts easier, idles better, and has better passing power. But the thing is, I have a carb, not FI. I don't know how much it would help you on throttle response because FI is much more efficient then carb.

I would recommend an MSD box to anyone. It was a great upgrade. Also I have/had* an MSD incap HEI coil, and MSD super conducter wires.

I have/had a MSD coil because it was having problems, so I sent it to Philly87 (MSD Repair Tech), and he sent me an HEI dust cover & Blaster SS coil as replacement. Problem is, the Colorado State University Mail Servie has managed to loose my coil & cover. So now I am trying to find it.

6. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    Do you mind explaining all the parts that go into creating a spark. I have a new distributor and I was wondering between coils the MSD, how does everything hook up? Do you have any pictures of your setup?
    Thanks for any info.
    Anthony

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

http://msdignition.com/downld1.htm

Check out that link.... instructions there to install the MSD 6 series to ANY ignition system. Good luck! And I agree, the MSD box is a great upgrade to ANY car/truck!

-Dan

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't have any pics, but plan on getting some up this summer because I get asked this alot. Here is how I understand the ignition system components. (maybe be wrong)

1. The MSD box is an amplifer. It amplifies the voltage put out by the coil. My igntion system has around 100K volts.

2. The coil is creates your spark for your cylinders. (then get amplified by the box if you have one).

3. The coil is triggered by the distributor. The distributor sends the voltage to the cylinders threw the plug wires to the plugs.

Hookups don't look to be that hard. I didn't install my box, as at the time i got it I wasn't to familiar with the ignition systems at the time. But I went back threw it after install, and everything seems to be pretty straight forward. MSD supplies very good, and detailed directions for the install. The coil and wires is very easy. It is just simple replacement.