Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD-6 yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my buddys got a like new MSD box for sale. sold the truck and kept it. think i can get it pretty cheap, wondering if its worth it to put on my 89k5. if not... i also have an older pickup with a 70's HEI ignition. should i buy it and what should i put it in?

he noticed a difference in his 95 V6 S-10. a little peppier@ midthrottle. my truck is lagging in that department.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is probably not worth putting on your 89 since it is FI. You won't notice the possible benefits as much. The older carb truck could probably use it though. Carbs are less efficient and the MSD box can help them be more efficient.

Harley

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thats what i was thinking. the carb'd motor has a fairly weak spark so it would probly make a bigger difference. plus i'd rather hack into that sh*tty wiring than the nice stuff in my K5. what do u think its worth? probly had 6 mons of use tops.goes for 160 new. i know rule of thumb on good used parts is half of what u paid new, so 80 seem fair?