Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD-6A ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76GMCJimmyinAZ, Jul 21, 2000.

1. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

I put this reply on "crate motor upgrades" but it might not get noticed there, so I'll say it again...

I'm thinking I'll order an MSD-6A ignition from Summit.

Should I get just the box for $130, or is it worth it to get the Blaster II coil, etc for $190??

Anyone have one of these? Did you notice a difference in power, responsiveness, mpg?

Any place cheaper to buy it?

Thanks for the input...

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have hthis same set up except recently I switched to a High Vibration coil.

I really like mine, I dont pay attention to MPG, but I think it is worth the money!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run the 8360 billit distributer with blaster2 coil and someday will get the 6A box to complete the package!
    I have had 0 issues and love MSD, they have great customer service too!! Accually the 6T I think is the one I will get ! It's an Off-Road version that comes with antivibe mounts...

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Cool, I run the 8551? MSD Distributor with the slip collar.

My 6A box has been covered in mud and water and I never had a problem!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have one but I took my Blazer to the shop and they disconnected it. I can really tell how it helped because it doesn't start as easily now and there is less power. You should probably get the distributor and coil too because the OE stuff may not hold up.

90K5

6. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

Well guys- I went out yesterday and spent some bucks on the MSD ignition, K&N filter, wires, cap, Blaster coil, wire loom (in preparation for the headers!) ALMOST done hooking it up... I'll let y'all know how it runs when I'm done!

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

8. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

Finished it all last night. It hooks up to the factory distributor just fine. It eliminates the stock ignition module in the bottom of the distributor, and the wires that come out of one side of that module. It's pretty straight-forward, the instructions were only a little vague in a couple of places (requiring a call to the perf shop where I bought it for clarification). Apparently, I hooked it all up right, because it started first try =). Too early to tell if there's any HUGE improvement- it does seem to require less throttle to get the beast rolling around town. My truck always started REAL easy before, so no real improvement there (some people say theirs start easier). Anyway, I'll know for sure if there's a noticeable improvement the first time I hook the boat to it!

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Hey what parts did you get that eliminated the ignition module? Mine just burned out and it might have been b/c of the MSD.

90K5

10. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

Two of the wires from the 6A ignition module hook up to the connector to the magnetic pickup in the distributor (that connector formerly went to the left side of the ignition module). Those two wires then run out of the side of the distributor and straight to the 6A box. According to the directions, if you use this method (with the magnetic pickup), then one of the wires from the 6A (the white one) does NOT get used. Maybe your distributor is a different setup than mine (no mag pickup so it uses the white wire) ???

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Stock ign...picture a 30 deg window of oppurtunity....somewhere within your stock system fires one shot of voltage to the appropriate plug to fire the fuel air mixture....which doesn't allways burn the entire mixture resulting in poor mileage and the big 3 to come up with things like emissions and a cat to try and burn what didn't get burned the first time around.

MSD ignition...fires 3 hot shots within the same 30 degree window under 3000 rpm...= more power due burning allmost all the mixture within the cylinadar walls of said cylinder ( no system is perfect)...and above 3000 it lites the fire for the full 30 degree's...much more efficiant!

Soon as i pay off the bill for my new MT/R's i'm gonna make the trip down to Lopers.... and pick-up the offroad box!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban