Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD billet distributor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Chris, Nov 2, 2005.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i got a basically stock tbi 350 in my 91. i rebuilt it couple years ago, but the ignition has 220k miles on it, and i'll bet its wore out. time for upgrades.

was planning on the MSD 6 or MSD 6-offroad ignition control with the GM late model blaster coil. i already got 8.5mm MSD wires. and i'll replace my plugs with new delcos. is the MSD pro-billet distributor worth the $300 bones, or should i just throw a MSD cap & rotor on my stock distributor. ill bet my stock distributor is pretty wore out, but $300 bucks is alot for a distributor.
    is anybody running the msd pro billet distributor for late model GM's?

2. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

yeah i saw that, thanks! i know what the ignition control system can do, but i was more wandering if their billet distributor was worth the money, specifically on 87-91 fuel injected v8's.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I have a Mallory Unilite Comp9000 billet distributor. I think it's great, but I can't say it does anything special. I got it off eBay cheaper then a new HEI. I would say save the money, and maybe upgrade the cap and rotor. The CD Ignition will work wonders (I run a Holley Pro-Strip Annihilator). It only uses the distributor for timing where the engine is in its rotation, so if it is working leave it be for now. The worst you have to do is get a new distributor which is an easy install so no harm done.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

For a non racer I don't think it'll do much. GM dizzy's are pretty good stock. If it's worn then either rebuild it or get a rebuilt one. I would get one from a reputable shop and not the local cheepie auto parts store.

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i run a accell billet dist, with acell 8.8mm wires, bosch platium plugs,
    and recently added the msd 6 box.

and i honestly think it ran better before i added the msd box. well at least there has been no noticable change. :confused:

but other than that i like my setup, fires right up, idles reall smooth at 600rpms. and has a snappy throttle responce..

i just hit 10,000 miles on my motor, and i installed the dist, plugs, and plug wires when i put in the motor. and i just pulled the plugs recently to take a peek at them, and they still look just like they did when i took them out of the box