Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD box locations?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Apr 14, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am trying to figure out a good place to mount my 6AL box. I have it on the firewall above the heater box, in the engine compartment. I don't like it there. It looks to exposed. I wanted to mount it under dash, But i have my holley computer on the drivers side (where the radio was) and can't have the MSD box near the E.F.I. computer. Has anybody had a problem with it mounted outside? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

Mine is mounted in the engine bay right on top of the fender well. It get's wet a lot and covered with mud it has not affected it one bit.

I do see a lot of the mud boggers run them inside the cab though which probably is better.

What about behind the glove box? Any room there?

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

trash can it.
    keep the bypass instructions in the vehicle

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

thats the same place mine is now, but I don't have to roll my truck over to read label, lol!

Hey MJ? hada bad experiance?? mine is 7 years old and has been in 4 cars/trucks!

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I don't have one on my 4WD yet but I have 6AL on my 2WD truck mounted on the firewall. I am planning on putting MSD on the 4WD too, I was thinking about mounting the box on the firewall like most people do and getting a rectanglar plastic container of some sort that will fit over the box and screwing it to the firewall for some protection against mud and water. I don't know if anyone has done this before, but it seems like a good idea. Or just get the box that is for off-road use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is what I did. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Like MJ said though, keep the stock components in the truck, and the instructions to bypass and return to stock. I like my MSD and wouldn't take it off, but I want to be prepared incase it should go out again.