Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD coil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Nov 19, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

On my last MSD ignition system, I had the stock coil, and I'm pretty sure it went bad and fryed the ignition box and everything else. Whci coil do I need? My coil is not in the dist cap. and on the MSD site, there is an MSD super blaster coil for GM. The PN# is 8226. Does anyone know what I need? Also will the super conductor 8.5mm wires fit on my cap? I think I heard somewhere I need a special tower to adapt them. Is this right?

90K5

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

thats the same coil i have...everything plugs in just like it was a stock coil.

Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Get the Blaster 2 coil, don't get the Blaster 3 coil. The 3 will burn up on you.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Get the High Vibration coil. It will take the abuse of off-roading and you can munt it in any position where the others have to be mounted one certain way!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I forgot to ask, how much does the coil cost?

90K5

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

7. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

Hey, carry a spare. I'm on my 3rd MSD coil (external HEI, correct application). My stock coil lives on with around 160K miles on it, but the MSD ones...

I had a pronounced miss. When I unhooked the 6A, the truck wouldn't even start. Swap in the stock coil & Varoom (no 6A). 6A on stock coil - no miss. GRRRR.

1st coil just up and died. This is over a year long period.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Are you guys who are burning up coils using an external resister? If you aren't that could be why the coils are burning up. Not sure about the blaster coil but many performance coils usually like no more than 9 volts. If they get the full 12v they burn out from excess heat. Check the supply (+) voltage at the coil with a meeter. if its 12 volts you may need to get a resistor to drop the voltage. Most auto stores that sell performance parts sell them. Info about weather a coil needs a resistor is usually in the instructions that come with the coil.