Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD GM blaster coil, will it work with my HEI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, May 15, 2006.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It can be used with HEI...you'll need an adapter that replaces the OEM plastic coil cover on the distributor cap, that has what resembles the porcelain top half of a spark plug on it near where the other wires plug in,for the coil wire to snap onto..and you'll have to splice the other wires to it as well(summit has the harness available if you look under "suggested parts" on the coil page link you listed,if you'd rather not splice wires)...

You can also just buy a higher output HEI coil that fits in place of the stock one with no mods or adapters too..not sure if MSD makes one,but Accell and Petronix do,and Summit and Jegs carry them..be sure to get the coil that matches up with the color codes on the pickup coil wires..the wrong one will bolt up and it'll run,but with reversed polarity,that cuts the spark power output drastically..:crazy:

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I use the accel coil in cap hei system on both my and my wife's camaro. it works great, and most auto parts stores sell the cap / rotor / coil, so I'm not obligated to get it from summit or jegs if I need a replacement part.

Tom

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

What if I was to run a MSD 6. Do I need to replace my cap to something different? I am currently running a ACDELCO HEI. 1986 K5

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Nope, the MSD box plugs into the ignition module under the cap. I'm running the same box on my camaro with the accel HEI.

Tom